25; Stay With Me

That afternoon, Noelle drove the car into an apartment complex, then shut the car off. She grabbed her bag from the passenger seat and slipped her cell phone out, seeing that she didn't have any new text messages or missed phone calls. She tried not to feel disappointed at the fact that Jamie still hasn't called her back or answered any of her text messages.

She didn't know how much longer he was going to avoid her; the longest he had ever ignored her was three days when they were six and she accidentally broke his favorite action figure. But, even then, he wasn't even really mad at her, just upset about losing his favorite toy.

Days later she had shown up at his house with a new toy that she bought with her weekly allowance and she was quickly forgiven. She couldn't help but wonder if his feelings were similar now- he wasn't really mad at her, just scared of losing someone else important.

Slipping the phone back into her purse, she opened the door and exited the car. Someone else she hasn't heard back from was Danny. She had called him earlier before leaving work to inform him about the autopsy on the girl from the hotel, but all she got was his voicemail.

She was surprised not to hear back from him yet, she knew he had been waiting for the autopsy. When that thought hit, she paused for a moment with her hand over her heart and felt a sense of panic. What if something happened? What if something was going on right that moment and she didn't know?

Shaking her head, she began to walk again and told herself that she was just being paranoid. With everything going on, it was easy to let her mind wander and assume the worst. She reminded herself that Danny was probably busy with a case and Jamie was still just ignoring her.

Even though she hadn't spoken to any of the male Reagan's, she did talk to Erin earlier, who was extremely worried about her teenage daughter, which was why Noelle decided to swing by to check on her after leaving work. If something was going on, then Erin would have told her, right?

Unless Erin didn't know either, the paranoid side of her mind pointed out. Shaking her head at herself, she blew out a breath and told herself to calm down, before she arrived at the front door. It wouldn't do Nicky any good to see her a nervous wreck.

Pushing out all the paranoid fears from her mind, she raised her hand and knocked on the door. She waited a few minutes and began to think maybe she should have called before showing up, but then she heard the sound of the lock turning before the door slowly opened to reveal a miserable looking teenager in an oversized t-shirt and pajama bottoms, looking way younger than her usual cheerful fourteen-year-old self.

Noelle didn't say a word, instead, she held out her arms and waited for Nicky to come toward her. She didn't have to wait long before she felt Nicky throw herself at her and cling to her as tears filled her eyes. She held onto the teenager for a few minutes, then lightly ran a hand up and down her back to comfort her.

"Come on. Let's go talk."

Nicky gave her a nod, then stepped out of her arms to turn and walk back to her bedroom, where she had been since coming home from school. She was supposed to go to her grandfather's house after school, but she had begged her mom to let her go home- all she wanted was to hide out in her bed.

After stepping into the apartment, Noelle had shut and locked the door, then followed Nicky down the hall to her room.

"Your mom says you've been having nightmares? That you haven't been getting any sleep lately?" Noelle questioned her minutes later after the two sat in front of each other on the bed. She actually didn't need an answer to the questions, she could tell the teenager hasn't been sleeping. She saw the same look on her face that she saw in the mirror every day.