26; Pinky Promise

"Salty, sweet. Salty, sweet," Noelle muttered to herself as she jingled the change in her hand and looked at the rows of chips, crackers and candy bars in the vending machine in front of her.

Once the rest of the Reagan crew showed up, she stood off to the side for a moment to give them all a chance to greet Jamie. Then once everyone took a seat around the room, she flashed Jamie a smile and nodded toward the door to let him know she would be back later after giving him a chance to visit with the family alone.

She knew none of them would mind her being around- she was family in their eyes, but not only did she want to give them all a moment alone, she also felt like she needed a few minutes to herself.

She was forever grateful he was okay, she had sent out many silent prayers after seeing him with her own eyes, but that didn't stop her from thinking about how close she came to losing him.

Earlier that day, she told Nicky that she never wanted to get a call that destroyed her world, but in one heart-pounding moment, that is exactly what almost happened.

When she saw his face on the news report, she had hoped she was just imagining things, but once Danny called she knew it was true and in that moment she couldn't help but remember the call she got about Joe and assumed the worst.

Coming to a stop in the middle of the hallway, she placed the heel of her hands against her eyes to hold back the fresh tears before taking a few staggering steps backward until her back touched the wall.

Feeling her knees go weak, she slid down the wall until she was sitting on the floor with her legs pulled close to her. She told herself over and over that things were okay- Jamie was okay, but she couldn't stop that little voice in her head that told her this wasn't over...they were not safe.

If he knew the thoughts going through her head now, she knew what he would say- he would reassure her that no matter what Jimmie threw their way they could get through it. He would promise her that no matter what she would not lose him, just like he had done since they were kids.

- Flashback -

Noelle reached up to wipe the wet tears from her cheeks when the movie she and Jamie were watching came to an end. It was one of her favorite movies, she had seen it countless times in her eleven years of life, but the ending always made her sad.

Most of the time she made Jamie turn it off before they made it to the end or either she just pretended the ending never happened. She liked to believe the cartoon fox and cartoon hound stayed young and remained friends forever.

"Are you crying again?" Jamie asked as he turned the movie off.

"No," she lied and wiped away the last few remaining tears from her eyes.

"Nol, why do we keep watching The Fox and the Hound if it always makes you cry?" he questioned, not understanding why she kept doing this to herself. If something made him sad, he would stop watching it.

"'Cause it's a cute movie!" she argued. "Mostly when Copper and Tod are young and became friends for the first time. It's just sad toward the end when that stupid jerk hunter and Copper are hunting Tod."

"Yeah, but Copper steps up and has his back in the end."

"But, they never get to really hang out again and be friends like before."

The two friends became quiet for a moment while he clicked the button to rewind the movie and she was lost in thought.

"What if that happens to us?" she quietly asked, grabbing his attention.