14; And So It Begins

Hours later, after making it back to the station, Jamie sat in front of one of the many computers and began to research. Since he couldn't find out much on Noelle before, he decided to take his investigation another way. He knew the name of the man she feared, meaning he could search for Jimmie Jenkins and maybe find some pieces to the puzzle that way.

He had to find the answers somehow. He wasn't giving up on helping her no matter what she said.

After a quick search on Jimmie, he found out he was a twenty-eight-year-old man who spent most of his life in mental hospitals. Over a year ago, around the time Noelle was living in Florida, Jimmie was finally out of one of the many institutions and was living with a younger brother, named Jacob.

With another puzzle piece, he searched the brother's name and found a small news article about Jacob committing suicide at twenty-three. Another search revealed that Noelle was the one who did the autopsy on Jacob, meaning she was probably on the scene to pick up the body and that was probably how the two met.

He tried to research more but had to leave to respond to a call. For the rest of his tour, he was in the patrol car, meaning his little investigation had to wait until later.

He hated that he had to do this behind her back, but she didn't leave him any other choice. He remembered the advice Melissa gave him, to find the reason she was so terrified and maybe he could find a way in, and that was what he was going to do- somehow he had to find a way in.

After his tour was over, he changed out of his uniform and into a pair of jeans and a button-down shirt with a t-shirt under it, then headed for her place. He didn't have much, but he hoped with the little bit of information he had he could get through to her.

He also just wanted to see her, especially after what happened at the gym- it still bothered him that he couldn't go after her and had to watch her walk away. He never liked watching her walk away, it had always crushed his heart.

It started when she first revealed to him that she was moving to Florida years ago. He still remembered that day like it was yesterday, and he remembered how for a moment his heart dropped and he felt like he couldn't breathe.

From a young age, the two had been inseparable, they did everything together; they even went to the same college because they couldn't stand the thought of being separated, then in a flash, she was gone. They talked some while she was in Florida and she even visited a few times, but in the end, she always left again. He tried not to take it personally, but at times it did feel like she had left him.

Now that she was back, he tried not to think of those bad memories, she was in his life again and that was all that mattered, but he would be damned if he let her walk away again. He cared about her too much to let this go.

He usually wasn't so confrontational- especially with her- but he couldn't shake this feeling of urgency, if he didn't do something soon, he feared something bad could happen to her. Whoever this Jimmie was, he had no doubt he was bad news, and whatever he did to her, he was going to make sure it never happened again.

Before arriving at her building, he stopped by the burger place nearby to grab some of her favorites, hoping that would smooth things over. He knew the best way to get back on her good side was food. If he had the time he would have went to the bakery she liked to grab a dozen of her favorite cupcakes, but he hoped the cheeseburger, order of onion rings and chicken nuggets would be good enough for now.

Pulling into the parking lot, he pulled into a spot beside her car, then grabbed his cell phone to call her. The phone rung several times, making him think for a minute she was going to ignore him, but finally, he heard a click on the other end, followed by a quiet greeting from her.