30; What Makes You Strong

Walking up the Reagan's porch steps, Spencer came to a stop in front of the door, then rang the doorbell. As he waited, he looked around to take in the neighborhood. It was completely different from the run-down apartments he and his stripper mother grew up in.

His eyes took in the manicured lawns littered with toys and brand new bikes parked in garages and couldn't stop his mind from wandering for a moment about how it would be to grow up in a neighborhood like this.

His mother did the best she could, but he still didn't grow up with a lot of new and nice things. And he didn't have siblings to turn to or a best friend one street over- all he had were bullies who pushed him around and teased him about the type of work his mother did to keep a leaky roof over his head, torn clothes on his back, and semi-healthy food in his stomach.

Hearing the front door open, he was pulled from his thoughts and turned his head to see Erin standing on the other side. An easy smile appeared on his face as he greeted the attractive brunette in front of him.

"Detective Hayes," Erin greeted him back.

Nodding his head, he corrected her, "You can call me Spencer."

"And you can call me Erin." She opened the door wider to welcome him in. "What can we help you with?"

"Actually I came by to see if I could help with anything." Shooting her a sympathetic look, he continued, "I heard about what happened to your sister-in-law."

When Noelle swung by the apartment with Jamie and his nephews to grab Daisy, she had pulled him aside to tell him what was going on. He could tell by the look on her face how worried she was and he hated the thought of someone in danger; it brought out the cop in him and he needed to help somehow.

That need has been embedded in him since he was a teenager and he walked into the apartment that fateful day and found his mother's murdered body on the living room floor. After watching her case being unsolved he never wanted that for another family- all the unanswered questions and no closure.

"Thank you. We could use another set of eyes." She began to walk toward the dining room and heard his footsteps behind her. "Danny has a promising lead, but we're in research mode."

At her comment, Spencer made a face, causing her to chuckle. "Not a fan of research, huh?"

"Not really," he answered. "I know it's part of the job description, and sometimes that's how we've solved a case, but I'm more of a hands-on guy. I would rather be out on the streets getting information, than pushing some papers."

"God, you sound like Danny." She came to a stop and turned to face him. "I didn't think the world could handle two Dannys."

"From what I hear, your brother is a badass detective." Taking a step closer to her, his voice deep as he added, "But, I can assure you, Erin, I'm nothing like your brother."

"And I can assure you, Spencer, I'm not one of your typical groupies you pick up in bars," she said back, hearing the flirtatious tone he was using. "It'll take more than a pretty face and a flirty comment to make me weak in the knees."

She flashed him a smile to let him know she wasn't offended by the comment, then turned to walk away. It's not the first time a detective hit on her and she knew the best thing to do was to let them know quick she wasn't the type to swoon over a cute smile or sweet words.

Spencer softly chuckled at her comment, his respect for her growing. He had a feeling she was hell on wheels in court.

"Feisty." He nodded in approval as he continued to follow her further into the house.