Chapter Twenty-Seven

Phil wrapped his arms around his husbands neck as soon as the taller man walked through the door.

"The kids home yet?" Nick grunted after kissing his husbands cheek in hello. Phil shook his head. "School doesn't finish for another fifteen minutes, so we better be gone to collect the younger ones in five." He explained, sliding on a pair of shoes.

Nick groaned as he set his back down on the kitchen counter. "I just got back." He complained. Phil shrugged. "We've got kids now. All your dreams, Nicky. They're all yours."

XX~•~•XX

Tony stood anxiously in the carpark beside the twins, Shuri, and Peter. He really wanted to just be back home and in his room, doing literally anything. Nobody brought up about lunch, how he'd just picked up and left, but he needed to talk to Rhodey about it. He always talked to Rhodey about it.

Finally, Nick and Phil pulled up and the five kids all jumped in the car.

"Hey guys, how was school?" Phil turned around to ask as Nick pulled out of the school carpark and onto the main road.

"It was great! I had so much fun - we even had PE and guess who won the 10k? Yours truly." Pietro smirked, practically bouncing in his seat between Wanda and Tony. "I enjoyed it as well, my host was nice. Quite odd, but nice." Wanda added. "Science was awesome!" Shuri shouted from the back. "Mine too!" Peter joined.

Phil smiled at his little family and glanced towards Tony. "How about you, Tones? Enjoying school." Tony shrugged - he didn't want to be having this conversation.

XX~•~•XX

"Finally, they're back! We really should've thought this through." Sam commented as he kicked a stone from his seat on the doorstep. "We'll never make that mistake again." Steve chuckled. "They better hurry up cause I'm about to piss myself!" Scott complained, hobbling around in an odd way.

Phil and Nicks car buzzed as they pulled into the driveway, and the seven of them all departed from the car.

"We don't have keys." Natasha states simply, hands on hips with a straight pokerface on. It was hard to tell whether she was annoyed to not being able to enter the house or just as amused as everyone else at Scott's pee-per dance.

Phils face dropped. "Oh my gosh, I completely forgot! I'm so sorry, guys! Well, this weekend we'll go out and make sure everyone has keys, alright?" The kids all nodded whilst Nick went over to unlock the front door.

Rhodey noticed Tony standing at the back of the group and walked towards him slowly, so that the younger teen knew he was coming. A small smile was placed on the elders face as he placed a hand on Tony's shoulder.

"Hey, are you ok? Have a nice day at school?" He whispered, wanting to keep this conversation purely between him and Tony. Though it wasn't a surprise, it was rather annoying when random foster siblings joined in on their conversations since they moved in, so Rhodey made sure that they knew when he and Tony were having a moment. Nobody joined in on those. Not even Steve.

"Can I talk to you? Alone, upstairs please?" Tony whispered back anxiously, subconsciously leaning in to the only child in the house that he considered his sibling. Rhodey nodded, and pulled Loki over, telling him to not go into the room he shared with Tony. Though the boy grumbled, Thor managed to pull him away and regaled him with tales of his day at school.

The other two boys made their way up quickly and easily, pushing the door shut once they were in the room.

"What's up?" Rhodey asked, sitting opposite Tony on the latter's bed. The boy took in a shaky breath.

"I-I just... to-today a-at school... i-it just happened and I-I raced off and-" Rhodey cut Tony off by leaning towards him and pulling the younger into his lap. He's heard this story in many different variations many a time, but he still knew what it meant.

"Still hungry?" He asked quietly, gently rubbing a hand up and down the boys back. Tony shook his head. "No food." He muttered, snuggling closer to the older boys chest. Rhodey sighed. Whilst he knew Tony was like this, it didn't happen that often. Now it felt like there hadn't been a big enough gap.

"What do you want?" He whispered into his little brother's soft, wispy hair. Tony shrugged. "Anything." He replied.

All of a sudden, Loki burst into the room. Tony jumped away from Rhodey. "Sorry." The black-haired boy muttered, grabbing his signed copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix off his bedside table. He quietly shuffled away.

That was it. Tony wouldn't talk anymore. Rhodey knew that. Once again, Rhodey sighed.

XX~•~•XX

Loki shuffled around the house until he found an empty room in which he could quietly enjoy reading one of his favourite books for the sixth time. Honestly, there were too many god damn kids in this house. Before, it had just been him, Thor, and Hela, and whilst Hela wasn't the nicest and Thor had always been overly exuberant, it wasn't the same as living with fifteen other kids, fourteen of which he'd never met before.

It was freaky. Moving in with Thor the first time around has been freaky, but he was a lot younger then. Now it was even more freaky, and though he didn't show it much, he was scared.

Natasha scared him, always listening intently, a poker-face forever gracing her visage, somehow knowing everything yet never even being there.

Scott annoyed him with stupid magic tricks he couldn't even properly pull off, and his weird hair pulling disorder. Apparently that was getting better, but still, the top of Scott's hair was a wig fitted perfectly and properly. Loki learned that his therapist, one that Phil and Nick had looked into getting for everyone, so Loki doubted he had many empty spaces, had said that the longer he held out the better his hair would grow. Loki hadn't met the therapist yet. He didn't believe he was going to get better with his disorder, if one could even call it that.

Bucky had called it that. Apparently his and Sams "privet chats" weren't very privet considering both of them had obnoxiously loud voices. Not when they first moved in, but after, once everybody had settled him.

Not everybody. Loki hadn't. Tony hadn't. Pietro hadn't. Clint hadn't. Everybody seemed to be doing just fine, and to say Loki was surprised to still see Pietro's nervous face whenever Nick spoke to him was an understatement.

He knew about Tony. He wanted to help Tony, but Tony didn't want much help. He only wanted Rhodey.

And Loki wanted Thor.