Making a Plan

November 23, 2008

November 23, 2008

Atlanta, Georgia

The Roof

"What are you doing here Dixon?" Dean asked, glaring at the man as we practically interrogated him while the others worked on getting a signal to the others.

"My brother lives down here. I came down a few days before everything happened. I had heard some rumors. About Y'all killing Samhain, the rising of the witnesses, Dean coming back from Hell, the teacher killing all those kids... all of it. I figured out what it was. The Seals. And I knew that if the apocalypse came around, I wanted to be with my brother. Unfortunately, this wasn't the apocalypse I was expecting. What happened?" Merle whispered, making sure that no one else could hear.

"Dean.... he made a deal. He made a deal with a crossroads demon to save Sam. The first seal... is when a righteous man sheds blood in hell. Dean... he accepted Alistair's offer, and... and he tortured souls down there. He broke the first seal. And then... an angel pulled him out. Castiel." I explained, glancing once over my shoulder to check that they still weren't paying attention to us, but the only one up here was T-Dog, so the others must have gone to try and figure out a way out.

"Angels? Angels are real?" Merle whispered harshly, and I simply nodded.

"What about your dad? What happened to him?"

"Dad made a deal. God. Our family and deals, we should really just stop making them." I snarked, with a glare over at my brothers, who both, admittedly, looked sheepish.

"Anyway, Dean was dying. A demon had possessed a truck driver and hit us. Dean was dying, Sam was fine, and I was hurt, a few broken ribs but I would be fine. But Dean... he was dying. And Dad, he contacted the Yellow-Eyed Demon, the one that killed mom? Well, he contacted him, made a deal. His life for Dean's. Dean lived, and Dad was sucked down to Hell. We saw him again. When we opened the Devil's Gate, you remember? I got a nasty phone call from you after that... but we saw him then. He helped us kill Azazel, the Yellow-Eyed Demon. And we thought he'd be free, as a ghost on Earth, or... I don't know. But he wasn't. When the gate closed, he was standing too close. It sucked him in. We haven't seen him since."

"Damn." Was all he said, and for a few minutes it was awkwardly silent while he stared at the ground until Dean broke the silence.

"So... who's your brother? Why haven't we ever met him?" Merle looked up, smirk present once again.

"Well, my baby brother doesn't know. He's not a hunter. Not a hunter like us. He hunts like deer and stuff. You never met him, because he's never left Georgia. Don't know why. But he never wanted to. And y'all never came to visit."

"Well, we've been a little busy. Plus, you're an ass." When he went to reply, there was a commotion behind us, and when we turned to look, Rick and the others were coming back up and they all looked disappointed.

"Nothing?" I called, and Rick glanced over and decided to make his way over to us.

"No. We looked for a way out through the sewers but they were blocked off. You guys want to come help us come up with something?" I nodded, and glanced at my brothers and Ruby, who all agreed as well and we all followed Rick over to the edge where everyone else was, except for Dean who stood a few feet away from the edge. It was quiet for a while. Everyone was staring down from the edge, trying to find something, but I couldn't see anything except the hundreds of dead down below us.

"That construction site, those trucks... they always keep keys on hand." Rick said, pointing over at a construction site, maybe a block away.

"You'll never make it past the walkers." Morales said simply.

"You got us out of that tank." Rick said, turning to look at Glenn, who looked uncomfortable.

"Yeah, but they were feeding. They were distracted."

"Can we distract them again?" Rick asked.

"Right. Listen to him. He's onto something. A diversion, like on 'Hogan's Heroes.'" Merle snarked, and I kind of wanted to hit him.

"God. Give it a rest." Jacqui groaned.

"They're drawn by sound, right?" Rick said, ignoring Merle's outburst.

"Right, like dogs. They hear a sound, they come." Glenn explained.

"What else?"

"Aside from they hear you? They see you, smell you and if they catch you, they eat you." Morales snarked.

"They can tell us by smell?"

"Can't you?" Glenn asked.

"They smell dead, we don't. It's pretty distinct." Rick looked over at me, grinned, and then took off back down the stairs.

"Okay... well I guess we're following him then." I said, gesturing for everyone to head down the stairs, and after a few groans, everyone walked down the stairs, after the crazy running Sheriff.

A/N: I hope this helps you guys a little with how they know Merle! Eventually I'll post the actual backstory into Wanted, Dead or Alive, but for now, just know that Merle was a hunter when he got back from the Marines, and he did something that endangered the Winchesters, but before that he was a friend of John, Evie, and Dean. But he never met Sam, because Sam was at school, and when Merle screwed up, it was when Evie, Dean, and John were still working together, before he split to find the gun. 

Also, for those of you that are like, 'Why isn't Sam talking?' Well, remember, that during the seals episodes, Sam was kinda being a douche because of the demon blood, so he's not going to talk for a bit, until Evie can figure out a way to get him off the blood. But honestly, with all this shit going down, she hasn't had time to really focus on that.