Chapter Eighteen

It seemed like it took forever for Jax to get off of work and I grew more and more impatient waiting, but I suppose sitting on the couch watching the time pass by slowly on my phone didn't help much, especially with checking the time every few minutes.

When I knew he was, finally, off of work I headed down to The Coffee Press in hopes of finding him still there, and hopeful Camille would no longer be there.

As I walked inside there was no sign of Camille and I let out a relieved sigh, but there was still the chance she could be in the kitchen, so I headed that way and peered inside. Once I knew she was nowhere to be found I felt more relaxed, that is until I spotted Jax.

Sure I was hoping he would still be there but once I saw him I tensed up again. I needed to talk to him, I was just nervous to do so.

"Hey, Emma," he beamed when he saw me.

"Hey." My lips pulled into a smile "Can we talk?"

"Sure."

I stepped into the kitchen and allowed the door to shut before saying anything. I didn't want anyone to overhear us.

I stood in silence trying to find the best way to start the conversation but I guess the long moment of silence worried him a bit. "Is everything okay?" he asked me.

I, finally, tore my gaze from the floor and up to him. The worry lines showed clearly just above his eyes. "Well," I began still trying to gather my thoughts, "everything is fine. I just think maybe there's something we need to talk about."

"Okay." The word came out as more of a question as he stood looking down at me still unsure of where this was going.

Honestly, part of me was wondering where this was going, too. All day I sat and thought about just what to say, but when he was standing right in front of me I seemed to have lost all the words I wanted to say.

"Are you sure you're okay?" His hand landed on my shoulder as he stared into my eyes searching for something wrong.

"I know you like me," I blurted out.

His hand fell from my shoulder to his side. "Oh."

Immediately I regretted saying it. It wasn't the way I wanted this conversation to go.

"Um," he said scratching the back of his neck, eyes on the floor before looking back at me. "Who told you that?"

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter."

"Look, I'll admit I did," he paused, "I do feel something for you, but I know there's something between you and Alex, and I'm not going to try and step in and ruin that." He shifted his weight from side to side. "Even if he does hate me."

"He doesn't hate you," I told him.

"Seems like he does."

"He thinks you flirt with me and he hates that, but he doesn't hate you," I admitted.

"Well, that's good to hear." He began to stack the freshly dried glasses together. "I didn't know there was something going on with you two, but when I found out, after you two had your big fight, I didn't want to mess that up." He stacked the last glass and turned to me. "Besides, I started talking to someone not too long ago and I really think it could lead to something."

A smile crept onto my lips. "Really?"

"Yeah." He smiled from ear to ear.

"Who is it?"

"Nuh uh." He shook his head. "No one knows unless I know for sure there's something there."

My smile fell. "Fine."