Chapter Twelve

Around ten Camille and I decided to head down to the bar and grille. She said she had a long day at work and just wanted to have some fun, and I had a long day of sitting at home doing nothing, so I tagged along.

Alex and Chance were working when we got there, so we gave small waves and then sat down at a table not far from the bar. Camille ordered her usual snack and we chatted while stuffing our faces.

"I don't know, the person just annoyed me so bad you know," Camille was half way through her rant about a customer she had today who complained for five minutes straight about how her coffee was too hot and it burned her tongue, "and you have to smile and be nice because the customer is always right," she said while rolling her eyes and blowing her breath.

"I agree it must have been annoying, but don't forget we're supposed to be having fun here," I told her watching as she became annoyed all over again just by talking about it.

"You're right." She nodded, closing her eyes while inhaling deeply, then letting out her breath slowly. "We're here to have fun."

"What's my baby so upset about?" Chance asked hopping onto the stool next to Camille.

"Don't ask," I blurted out, him giving me a weird look but not asking another question about it.

"Well, I've just got an hour and a half left and then we can go home and I'll make you feel better," he said winking at her.

"Okay then," Alex said and then turned to me. "Anyway, how are you?"

"I'm good. You know, just exhausted from doing nothing all day."

He leaned towards me and whispered, "you could have just called, you know."

I hit his arm and looked at Camille and Chance to see if they were paying attention, unfortunately they were. Camille was eyeing me hard, her eyes squinted just a little as if trying to read my mind.

"Chance, Alex!" A voice yelled.

"Gotta go," Chance said before pecking Camille on the lips and rushing back to the bar with Alex in tow.

"I'm not even going to ask," Camille said to me.

"About what?" I asked knowing full well what she was talking about.

"Nothing." She shook her head. "I'm not going to ask."

"Okay."

I thought it would be dropped but then she continued, "because you're not going to tell me, because every time I do ask you pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about." She shrugged. "So, I'm not going to ask."

"Well, alright then. Do you want to play a game of pool?" I asked her.

"Sure."

We played one game of pool. I was a pretty decent player, but I learned Camille was just as good. The game didn't last very long, and Camille beat me. Maybe I was better at playing with a partner. Playing on my own was a lot more nerve wrecking than I thought it would be.

Alex and Chance were heading our way and I checked my phone realizing it was already nearing midnight.

"Well, I'm ready to go home and take a nice long shower and throw myself into bed," Camille said as she held on to Chance's arm.

"Me too," I agreed.

"Dude, is that the girl from the lake?" Chance asked Alex.

I looked at Alex as he quickly said," I don't know," not even bothering to look in the direction Chance motioned towards. His whole demeanor had changed. He seemed more tense and like he didn't want to be here.