20

Third pov/ six months and one week until Carter's release

Phoenix walked down the streets after visiting Jorge. She was going back to her own apartment for a glass of whiskey and to finish this weeks paperwork.

"Miss Cortez." A young man gave her a pleasant smile as he approached her. "My name is Andre Diaz, i work for customs. Would you mind following me and answering a few questions?"

Phoenix sighed but nodded. "Lead the way, mr Diaz."

Police station

Phoenix knew that there was police watching her through the one way window.

The door opened and Diaz came in.

"I'm sorry you had to wait. Ready to start?"

She nodded. "Go ahead. I have nothing to hide."

He opened a file. "It says here that you aided in taking down Carter Verone. Is that true?"

"Yes."

"You were knocked out before Verone tried to flee with agent Fuentes and some of his men, receiving your fair share of injuries. What were your relationship with him? Fuentes described it as an honest relationship."

Phoenix bit back her irritation about hearing Monica Fuentes remarks. "I was his mechanic. I fixed cars, i guess he figured i would be a good way to pass time when he lost interest in Monica. Who knows? I certainly don't."

"Miss Cortez, you are currently running Carter Verone's businesses, why?"

"That's the question, isn't it? Well, i knew pretty much what some of his businesses were about and since he is in prison i decided to "clean" everything up. Take it from illegal to legal. Even Carter has approved of the changes and i don't see anything bad about turning it around." She finished.

Behind the glass Bilkins chuckled. He saw now that it wasn't only Carter they should have worried about, but also Phoenix. She was more clever than any of them had thought, not just the mechanic they had expected. She reminded him of Brian in a way.

Markham was silently fuming. This wasn't going like he wanted it to.
He had to keep his eyes on her. Even the smallest mistake could be valuable.

Five months and three weeks until Carter's release

Phoenix took the chance to learn more self defense. She already had some talent for it but it didn't hurt to get even better. She was allowed to use as much money as she wanted according to Carter so she hired an instructor.

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)