Chapter 31: Flames From the Sky

The battlefield was filled with the dead and the dying. Elves, dwarves, men and orcs were scattered across what had once been vast field of green yet now it had taken darker shades. Bilbo stood at the top of Dale's outer walls. He could only watch as the dwarves retreated to the high wall at the Erebor's entrance and stood side by side, in what may be their last defence of their home. The orcs seemed to smell their victory. They outnumbered the battle-weary dwarves by far. They screeched and raised their weapons, rejoicing in their upper hand. Then the signal to charge was heard and the orcs and trolls engaged into an excited sprint towards the dwarves who now took their last stand. Bilbo's heart began to sink and he shut his eyes. A loud sound made him look up however and he could not believe what transpired before him. The high wall was crushed by a giant golden bell. The orcs stopped at the sight and starred in confusion as the bell disappeared into the mountain again. Out from the giant hole came a mighty roar and from the dark came a group of dwarves with weapons in arms, courage and determination in their eyes. They charged through the ranks of dwarves who parted and created a path for group as they continued towards the enemy. "For the king!" Dain bellowed and Bilbo felt new hope flow through him, "Gandalf the dwarves are rallying!" he cried and stood up. Gandalf gazed over the plain, "They are rallying to their king" he smiled. Bilbo looked at him then at the battlefield, indeed Thorin was there and so were Fili, Kili and all the others. Except one, he noticed. His eyes wandered across the field but he could not find her. Smaug was still inside the mountain. She had not joined the battle. Bilbo felt himself worry. Had the dwarves found out and killed her? No, he reminded himself, she would not allow them to do that but where was she then? He made up his mind, even though it was against all his hobbit-instincts he had to get out there and into the mountain, "Gandalf I have to get inside the mountain". The wizard looked at him, "Do not be foolish you can't get past that army!" Bilbo became stubborn, "I can Gandalf, please!" "What is your mission? I presume you have one" Gandalf looked at him gravely. Bilbo sank, "I have to get to her. I need to know something of her" Gandalf paused, "Then may luck be with you, I myself have to stay" Bilbo nodded his thank and then then ran all he could down that stairs and through an old doorway. Just before he stepped into the open he reached down in his pocket for the small trinket that had helped him before. He stayed invisible until he reached the door and ran down the hallway. He had searched most of the halls until he reached the King's Gallery. There she was. In her dragon form laying down and almost looked asleep but her eyes were still open, "Smaug!" he called out. She raised her head and turned around, "Barrelrider! You are alive" He ran to her and panted, "Yes but not for much longer, we are loosing" She huffed, "Just as I feared. They were blind and therefore did not see the true enemy" Bilbo shook his head, "Does it still matter? You have to do something" she rose, "There is nothing I can do" She began to walk away but Bilbo followed, "Off course there is! You are a dragon!". "Exactly!" she turned her head towards him, almost pushing him, "I am a monstrous, ferocious, firebreathing dragon. I have created havoc and desolation, murdered and burned cities to the ground. The fact that you are still alive is a mystery and a rare occurrence!" Her eyes glowed but Bilbo stood his ground, where he found this courage he did not know.

She was confused but did not let it show. Why was he not running away? Perhaps he was somehow frozen in place. She could see he was shaking yet his gaze was calm and steadfast. His reaction was a mystery to her. The dwarves had been angry and promised to return for revenge after the battle. Why should she help them? She owed them nothing, in fact, they owed her a great deal. She had decided to leave long ago so why would she participate in a fight she had not started. But something about this little creature made her think. He did not try to trick her or lure her into her demise. No. He was genuine. A rare sight and something she had only seen a very few times in her entire life. She looked at him, "Tell me hobbit; if I were to join the fight, what would stop elf, man and dwarf alike from trying to shoot me down?" Bilbo smiled, "But they can't, can they?" Smaug chuckled, "True" she looked at him and he stared hopingly at her. A chance to fight against the darkness, why not? No one in either forces had the power to harm her anyway. She lowered her head, "I never imagined I would find myself persuaded by the most peculiar creature I have ever met" Bilbo grinned, "It is a yes?" Smaug smiled, "I believe it is" Bilbo jumped in happiness and she chuckled. Most peculiar indeed. But then a thought struck her: How was he suppose to get out there? Surely he had help when he made his way towards the mountain but surely circumstances were different now. There would never be two similar moments in a battle and the hobbit had been lucky not to have been struck down. Then, she had an idea. A crazy idea. A way to make sure no harm would come to him, "I have a proposition for you and if you accept, you must master all your courage" Bilbo thought for a moment but then he nodded, "I am ready" she smiled, "Excellent!"