Chapter 26: "Dragonslayer"

Legolas kneeled down and traced his fingers over the crushed twigs on the forest floor. The scum had passed this way that much was certain. He had lost sight of him however and the orc was travelling fast. Yet Legolas was certain he would not get away. He rose and was about mount his horse when the steed picked his ears and raised his head towards the sky. Legolas looked up and frowned. Black birds covered the sky. Not just birds... ravens! He swung himself in the saddle and turned his horse around before urging it forward. Ravens heading towards the mountain could mean one thing: the dragon was dead. He cast one last look back to the path he was headed a few moments ago before fixating his eyes back on the road ahead. After a short while, he began to see the end to the forest. Small pecks of light shone through the withered branches and lit the path. He told the horse to go faster but as he came to the treeline, he pulled his reigns into a sudden halt. The horse snouted in protest but did as told and stood still on the hillside. From here, Legolas could see the harsh truth of what had transpired after his departure. A large black smoke rose from where the city of Lake Town was located. Where he thought would be towers and houses was now only black timbers still glowing from the events of the previous night and even from here he could hear the hopeless and terrified screams of those who had survived. Then his breath caught in his throat. Tauriel. She had stayed for some unexplainable reason and had surely still been with the family they had just saved from the orcs. He kicked the horse's sides and it did as told and galloped down the hill towards the lake.

Bard swam towards the shore. People were everywhere. They were running around, crying, screaming and calling for their loved ones. From here he could see many were injured or had given up the fight on banks while others were either trying to help the wounded or had begun to safe the little food and blankets that were left and sharing it with those too weak to stand. As his feet touched the ground, he sent Bain out find his sisters amongst those who were bringing the food from the boats a bit down the shore. He himself went the other way. All of a sudden he heard a commotion and quickly recognised the voice of a certain weasel. Alfrid was trying to steal a blanket from of the women who were trying to help but she would not budge, "Master's deputy, don't make me laugh!" She managed to wrist the cloth from him, "I would be dead before I answer to the like of you!" Bard hurried towards the scene and was just behind Alfrid when the latter grabbed the woman's arm and raised his hand, "Maybe that can be arranged" he hissed. Bard grabbed his arm just as he was about to strike and the man froze, "I wouldn't go turning on your own Alfrid. Not now" With that he pushed the little man around and Bain who had just turned up behind him made him stumble over his leg. The woman smiled but Bard only saw the happy faces that appeared just behind her. Tilda and Sigrid! He embraced them, relieved they were unharmed and well. This happy reunion however, was soon spoiled by a man shouting from the mass of people who had gathered around the scene, "It was Bard! He killed the dragon I saw it with my own eyes. He brought the beast down; Shot him dead with a black arrow!" People cheered and went to thank him and show their gratitude. Bard did not feel well. This short of attention was not something he wished for. It only got worse however as Alfrid began to yell, raising Bards arm towards the sky, "All hail the Dragonslayer! All hail king Bard!" What a despicable little man. Bard watched with disgust as he paraded around, telling everyone how he had always believed Bard as good man of noble standards. This charade was obviously a means to get him in either Bard's or the townsfolk's good favour but it did not work. Bard cut him off demanding to know where the master was. The woman from before spoke up "On his way to Anduin with all of our gold for sure. You would know," she pointed at Alfrid, "you helped him empty the treasury!" Alfrid seemed to grasp he was in a dire situation and tried to plead with the people surrounding him, shouting "Lair! Thief!" Nothing seemed to help and Bard did not feel sorry for him. In a long time, he had been in the master service. Licking his boots and made life sour for the common folk. Things escalated however, the folk began to chant and want his death by hanging. Bard had to cut in. how much he wished it this was not the way, "Stop, release him! Look around. Have you not seen death already? Winter is upon us. We must look to our own. The sick and the helpless. Those who can stand tend to the wounded. Those who have strength left follow me. We must salvage what we can" he went towards the boats. "What then?" a woman piped out, her face full of worry. Bard turned towards her, "we find shelter". He had no other answer to give but seemed to do well enough. People agreed and began to work their way through the remains and help those who were wounded. After a few hours, everyone began to walk. Everyone carrying something. It had been decided, they would make for Dale. In those ruins, they might find shelter and be able to make some fires. Bard was the last to leave. He had sent Bain and the girls ahead with others and was now searching the last boat for anything. All he found was a few blankets, one with a few burn marks. As he folded them together, something caught his eye. He looked down the bank in the direction of where the bridge had once been. A shadow took shape in the morning fog. It took him a few moments to realize he had met the person before. If only briefly a few nights ago.