Chapter 17 - Tis' the Season

Ryan's POV

Ashley parted from our kiss, and I immediately became a nervous wreck. What if that isn't what she meant? What if she wasn't ready? I didn't even want to open my eyes, but I forced myself too. I saw Ashley, grinning like an idiot, and all of my anxiety and worries were whisked away.

She leaned into my body, resting her head against my chest as she always did. I slipped my hands to her hips and began swaying us slowly, back and forth to "Winter Wonderland". I felt her shift her head to look up at me, placing her chin lightly against my chest.

"You're pretty good at that." She said, wrapping her arms around my neck. She softly pecked my lips once more, continuing to look at me, her blue eyes blending in gorgeously with the winter scape.

I didn't even know how to respond.

"Thanks." Was the only word that I was able to say. We continued to sway for a little while longer before heading back over to Taylor and Natalie. I just really hoped neither of them saw me kiss her, or I'd never hear the end of it.

"Ready to go?" Taylor asked.

"I think so." Ashley responded, clutching my hand in hers. Now I was the one grinning like an idiot. I never had a girl have such an effect on me. Sure I had crushes in high school and dated a couple girls during my time in Red Deer, but this was different. Ashley was different. Those other girls were nice, pretty, flirty, everything you could want in a girl, but Ashley had something else. Ashley possessed all of that and more. I just couldn't figure out what it was.

We walked back to the truck, and drove home, the car ride being silent. However, this wasn't an awkward silence, or a tense silence, this was a content silence. A happy silence.

We walked into the house after the short drive home, Taylor and Natalie staying downstairs to watch some Christmas movie, which was fine with me. I took Ashley's hand and led her upstairs to my bedroom, as usual. We changed out of our winter apparel and into pajamas, and laid down.

"Tonight was great, I had so much fun." Ashley said. I was about to speak when she spoke up again. "Thank you, Ryan. I don't know what I would do without you."

"My pleasure, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I figured you would."

"I'm glad we got that out of the way." Ashley said suddenly. Once again, I didn't know how to respond.

"Yea, me too."

"Ryan, why do you seem so nervous?" She asked, sitting up.

"I don't."

"Ryan..."

"Fine, I just didn't know how to answer, that's all."

"That's okay, Ryan, take your time. We have our whole lives ahead of us." After she said that, I could feel my pulse increase.

My heart jumped out of my chest. "Our whole lives", together.

"I guess you're right." I said with a chuckle.

"Why don't you get some sleep, it's late and you had a long day." She suggested.

"Once again, you're right."

"Goodnight, Ryan."

"Night, Ash."

I was so happy. "Our whole lives".

"Ash?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you." WOAH! Why in the hell did I just say that?! I was thinking out loud!

Ashley sat up and looked at me, I couldn't read her expression at first, which made me regret my choice of words, but her beautiful smile appeared.