Chapter 28 - When it Rains, it Pours

Valentine's Day

Ryan's POV

"Look at you. What are you getting all dressed up for, kid?" Taylor walked into my doorway as I was getting ready. Even though I hadn't talked to her, I figured I would try and surprise Ashley on Valentine's Day.

"I'm gonna try and fix what I messed up."

"You talked to her?"

"Nope." I said, finishing buttoning my shirt.

"I don't even want to know, but whatever you're doing, I wish you the best of luck."

"Thanks." I said, grabbing my jacket and heading downstairs. I ran into Natalie in the kitchen.

"Hey, don't you look cute?" Natalie said, pushing my hair over to one side.

"Thanks, Nat." I smiled.

"This will work, Ryan. I think this is such a cute idea. Too bad Taylor can't be this romantic."

"I hope it goes well."

"It will. I know her well enough, and she'll think that this is so cute. She'll love it."

"Let's hope it works." I said.

"It will, Ry. Good luck." She smiled, giving me a hug, before I headed out the door.

I assumed that she was at her friends' apartment, so I stopped over there.

I remember the first time I was here. I had driven her home the night I had met her.

I won't forget that night.

It was one of the most important of my life.

I took a deep breath and got out of the car, slowly walking to the door. I thought it all through, and knocked three times.

"Mitch, can you grab that?" A voice came from inside. A kid that couldn't have been much younger than me opened the door. He was immediately surprised. He must have figured out who I was.

"Hey, can I help?" The kid asked nervously.

"I'm looking for, Ashley. Is she home?" I asked.

"No, she's not. She hasn't been here in a couple days. Are you-?"

"Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Yeah." I smiled.

"Wow, it's cool to meet you. I don't want to keep you, but Ash left a few days ago, didn't say where she was going. I think she left something here though." He kept the door open and searched the apartment for something, before he came back with a few pieces of paper.

"Here it is. I hope that helps you." He said.

"Thanks, I'll give it a look. I appreciate the help, bud. Nice meeting you." I smiled, extending my hand.

"You too." He said, closing the door.

I returned to the car, heading back home. Hopefully these papers had some information.

I walked in the door and Natalie peered around the corner, a frown on her face.

"What happened?" She asked, sounding concerned.

"She wasn't home, but one of the kids said she left this there, so I'm hoping it helps." I said. Taylor came down the steps, joining Natalie and I in the kitchen.

"What's all that?" He asked.

"We're about to find out." I said, unfolding the papers. They were papers from an airliner out of the Edmonton airport.