S I X

I swallow thickly as I follow closely behind Jeongguk, his hands stuffed comfortably in his pockets as if he's not questioning this at all.

"Are you not..." I start quietly.

He looks at me but continues walking. "Go ahead. Ask what you want to ask."

"Are you not confused? Don't you want to talk about this?"

He chuckles. "Miss Kim. That's why we're going somewhere quieter," he answers, cryptically. "So we can talk."

I squint in confusion. "Jeongguk--"

He puts his hand up, stopping me from speaking. "Somewhere quieter, Miss Kim."

I bite my lip and nod slowly, trying to comprehend the situation I'm currently in. A thousand thoughts run through my brain and his office couldn't come any quicker.

He shuts the door behind us, clicking the lock after making me jump a tiny bit.

He smirks in amusement. "I'm not gonna hurt you, Y/N."

"I-I know," I mumble.

He walks over to me, brushing his shoulder with mine then walking past me to his desk, leaning against it.

I gulp nervously.

"God, I missed you," he whispers.

I turn around slowly to face him, looking into his eyes. "You're the one who decided to leave."

He sighs and looks down at his feet, then back up at me. "I know. That doesn't mean I can't miss you."

So, he wasn't forced. I didn't know I was even thinking that, but my mind immediately goes there as he answers me.

"I just woke up one day and you were gone," I mutter. "And it made no sense. I was so confused. You told me you loved me," I take a deep breath to keep myself from crying. "And Yeonjun. You left him behind."

"I-I know," he stutters out, a bit more nervous this time.

"So why did you leave, Jeongguk?" I raise my voice slightly. "Nothing makes sense! I was left there with a man that raped me and you knew!"

He blinks. "What? What the hell are you talking about?"

"What do you mean 'what am I talking about'? Jimin raped me and you all knew about it before you left," I reply, getting even more aggravated with each word. The only reason I'm not crying is because of the anger that is starting to surge through me.

"I-I didn't know. I swear," he steps toward me and I put my hand out to stop him.

"Jeongguk, don't lie to me when I know for a fact that you knew," I yell at him.

His eyes start to grow big. "I swear, I didn't know. If I would have known, I wouldn't have left you."

"So, why did you leave then? Hm, Jeongguk?" I cross my arms.

He opens his mouth, then closes it again, squinting his eyes in confusion.

I nod. "Yeah, that's what I thought. You just up and left and for what reason? Oh, you don't have one," I let out a humorless laugh. "That's just great."

He looks down at his feet. "I've been trying to come up for a reason why I left for the last year and I've just come up blank. I-I don't know why I left," he whispers and his tone of voice tugs at my heart. "Y/N," he looks up at me. "As confused as I'm sure you were and still are, I was even more confused. I don't understand why I left. I mean, at first, I felt in my gut that I was supposed to leave and then as time went on I started having these dreams and--"

"Dreams?" I cut him off.

He nods. "Yeah, almost like flashbacks, but they weren't quite the same. Like something was off and after those dreams, I started looking at reality differently. I promise Y/N, I'm just as confused as you."

I bite my lip. "I have dreams like that, too. Sometimes they're more like daydreams for me. I'll just stare off into space. They're weird. They feel real but different from reality."

He pauses and takes a step toward me. "I," he pauses. "If I'd known that you were raped, I'm sure I would have stayed."

I shake my head in confusion. "But you did, Jeongguk. He had a meeting with all of you...and then you left."

He gives me a look that I don't like. It's the I-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about look. "No, he didn't."

"Yes, he did," I press. "I remember it clearly."

"W-well, I don't..." he runs a hand over his face.

A chill runs down my spine. "Even if you didn't know about me being raped, why would you leave Yeonjun?"

He stiffens at the name. "I'm gonna be completely honest with you and I don't want you to take it the wrong way, but it was as if he slipped my mind when I left and he came to my mind later. I wouldn't have even left without bringing him with me. I promise. I don't know what happened," he mutters the last part, still in deep thought.

"He...slipped your mind?" I repeat. The words sound so harsh and the idea of Jeongguk forgetting about Yeonjun seems impossible. "Something's not right," I decide to say aloud.

He nods. "I've been thinking that for a while, too. It's like certain details of my life slipped my mind when I left and are slowly showing back up piece by piece."

"I," I bite my lip, "I understand."

He reaches forward and runs a finger along the skin of my cheek. "You're even more beautiful than you were a year ago."

I gulp and pull away from his touch. "I want to get something straight with you."

He raises an eyebrow in surprise, but nods.

"I am not gonna spend any more time with you than I absolutely have to for this job. I don't want us to be friends, in fact, I don't even really want to see you at all," I spit out harsher than I really meant to. "And if you come anywhere near Yeonjun I swear to you, you'll regret it."

He blinks and his eyes go wide. "Yeonjun is here? In America? With you? Right now?"

Shit. "U-Um, no. Nope. He's not actually. I was just, you know, saying not to go back to him because you don't want to hurt him more than you already have."

"Y/N," he speaks lowly, stepping towards me. "He's..." he pauses and bites his lip. "Yeonjun is here?"

"I just said that he's n-not," I stutter.

"You're a horrible liar," he chuckles.

I sigh and step away from him again. "Just stay away...if not for your sake, then for his."

And with that, I walk out of the office breathing heavy and heart beating rapidly.

☠ ☠ ☠