Chapter 55

Gaius came rushing back into the room when he heard Merlin's panicked call.

"I don't think she failed," Merlin said close to tears as Gaius sat down by the edge of the bed.

"Whatever do you mean?" Gaius asked

".... I've lost my magic" Merlin revealed

Gaius just sat there shocked and at a complete a loss for words.

_______________________________________

Gaius sat at his workbench going through books, trying to find the creature that attacked Merlin and took his powers.

Merlin was stood up behind Gaius, pacing back and forth because his nerves just refused to let him sit still.

"Look, here. " Gaius said catching Merlin's attention and making him immediately walk over to the old man.

"It is the sign of the Gean Canach, " Gaius explained

"Gean Canach?" Merlin wondered  "That- - that's the language of the old religion isn't it?"

Gaius looked up at him for a second before looking back down at the book. "Indeed. The Gean Canach is a fearsome creature forged by the tears of the earth mother,  Nemaine. It devours the magic of others...." Gaius glanced at Merlin who was kneeling down beside him, his eyes glued to the book. " Draining them of their power."

".... I thought all such creatures we're destroyed in the Great Purge." Merlin muttered.

"All but one, it would seem." Gaius sighed

_______________________________________

The next day, the infirmary was packed with wounded. There had been an attack at the Garrison of Stawell and many were killed or badly injured. There were so many people needing treating that a lot of them had to sit outside the physicians quarters. Gaius scuttled around helping as many people as he could as  Merlin stood in the middle of it all feeling completely useless and looking shocked at the number of wounded.

Gaius took notice and walked up to the young man. " The Garrison at Stawell was attacked."

"Morgana?"

"It would seem so. It cannot be a coincidence. She's picked the moment you are most helpless to begin her attack. And it's most likely that she's not too pleased about what happened to Aria" Gaius explained

"What am I going to do?" Merlin asked worriedly

"Well for the moment you're going to help me treat the wounded" Gaius replied, "Your skill as a physician is still valid."

Gaius took Merlin by the arm and led him over to a wounded knight before he walked away to tend to others.

_______________________________________

Merlin was currently tending to a young blonde woman's leg, he finished wrapping her wound in a bandage and grabbed a dagger to cut the cloth. Gwaine stood by the girl's side as he was the one who rescued her during the attack. They were currently in a guest chamber.

"Sorry. Almost done" Merlin apologized to the girl. The girl looked up at Gwaine with a frown.

"Don't worry. Merlin knows what he's doing" Gwaine reassured her.

Merlin finished with the girls wound and stood up to place the medical supplies away.

"Do you have any news from Stawell? Have you heard from my family?" The girl asked Gwaine

Gwaine and Merlin shared a looked.

"Eira, your family..." Gwaine hesitated and the girl, Eira, began to cry. "The people of your town... You're the only one you survived the attack"