Chapter 40

That very same night, Daegal sat waiting and hoping that Merlin would wake up. He was beginning to lose hope when finally Merlin opened his eyes.

"You're alive," Daegal said relieved

Merlin glanced up at Daegal and looked around at his surroundings confused and sat up.

"You have to believe me - - I did not know what Morgana had intended" Daegal explained

Merlin glared at him" You betrayed me"

"She offered me money. You've seen what it's like."

"Do you know what Morgana is planning?" Merlin questioned

"No" Daegal replied "I met the Lady Morgana and the Queen only once"

"I don't believe you" Merlin shook his head. "Please, whatever you know."

"I think they mean to kill the king," Daegal told him.

Merlin rolled his eyes. Of course, that's what they were doing. Merlin went to get up but it was painful as his leg still hurt and he was still weak from the poison.

"What are you doing?" Daegal asked

" I need to warn Arthur before its too late," Merlin replied getting up and quickly limping away.

Daegal hurried after him.

They both went speedily through the forest but Merlin kept falling down due to his leg.

The two stopped on the top of a hill and looked down at a camp.

"Bandits," Merlin said. " they don't see us"

"No"

"We'll edge around the outside. "

"They'll have lookouts" Daegal warned

"We don't have a choice!" Merlin strained to say " We need to get back to Camelot."

They ran across the top of the hill and around the camp. They started to head down the hill when Merlin's leg gave way and he fell down the slope. Daegal helped him stand up and they were about to keep moving but the Bandits had already seen them and were now circling the pair.

"Go" Merlin ordered

"No" Daegal denied

"I can look after myself" Merlin insisted

" I'm not going to leave you this time"

"Get to safety"

Daegal caught sight of the bandit leader and began to look extremely scared.

"If you value your lives, you won't take another step," Merlin warned

The bandits stopped.

"What are you doing?" Daegal whispered

"Trust me" Merlin whispered back.

"Here" Daegal held up the sack of money Morgans had given him to the bandit leader. " It's all the money we have."

Daegal tossed the sack to the leader who easily caught it. The leader then pointed his sword at Merlin.

"You, empty your pockets. "  He demanded

"Last chance" Merlin warned

"You don't even have a sword" The leader scoffed.

".... I don't need one" Merlin resorted before he used his now fully powered magic to send the leader flying back with a grunt.