Chapter-19: Unplanned Date

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"He made a special lunch for her by himself."

Theo wheezed. "Wyatt and cooking? What's he getting her? Charcoal fry and sugary pizza?"

I couldn't help but laugh as well. "He woke me up at four in the morning to help him out."

Theo's mouth formed in an O. "That's what you guys were going in the kitchen when I was leaving for my jog."

"What did you think we were doing?"

"Making a secret poison formula to kill me," he said flatly.

"We might have, but I'm not telling," I said, suppressing my giggle.

"So did it turn out okay? We won't have to take Coral to the hospital, do we?" he asked on a serious note.

I nodded. "After seven tries, he managed to make Coral's favorite dishes. It was edible."

"Phew, then."

We ducked our heads when Wyatt came out of the bakery shop. Thankfully, Wyatt didn't notice Theo's car as we were parked far away. Once Wyatt started driving again, Theo started trailing him.

Theo and I chatted all the way to Coral's house and paid close attention when Wyatt came out to meet Coral at her gate. She smiled at him cheerfully, as always, and Wyatt returned her smile.

"Thank goodness, he doesn't seem nervous," I let out.

"Don't worry. Once he sets his mind on something, he gets it done," Theo informed.

"Now that you mention it, it's true. Good observation."

Theo rolled his eyes. "I've been living with him for more than two years now."

We watched as Wyatt opened the car door for Coral and they both settled in before driving off.

"Where did you live before?" I asked to get to know him more.

"This is my birthplace, but I lived in Atherton for five years with my uncle Albert before starting high school here," he answered.

"What? Atherton? Is your uncle rich or something?" I asked further with enthusiasm.

"He's a business tycoon."

"Damn, that's one talented family gene." I was genuinely impressed. "I mean, Wyatt is super smart, and you're, like, a math genius. Ian is a famous artist. God, I want your genes for my kid."

"Then you would have to marry one of us."

"Wyatt is a good option, but he likes Coral. Even though Ian is single, I'm not really into older men with a child my age," I explained.

"Hello? I exist," Theo reminded me.

"As if I would marry you." I laughed at the possibility.

"You never know."

"I know this much at least." I laughed for a bit more. "But seriously, your mom's side of the family is really cool. I'm sure your mom was very talented too." I instantly regretted saying the last sentence, knowing it must be a sensitive thing to say.

I was about to apologize when he spoke up with a solemn smile, "Yeah, she was. She was an amazing writer. Her first book became a bestseller."

"Really? What's the name of her book?"

He told me the name, and I felt like I had heard of it. But I wasn't much of a reader, so I couldn't tell. But I could tell that he was proud of her.

"Sounds like they are more volumes of this," I said after he told me the story of his mom's first book.

"There are. But they were never published."