Chapter 23 - The Golden Ninja

Start from the beginning

"Y/n?" Lloyd chokes out, opening his eyes.

LLOYD

Through my blurry vision, I realize that my gi is torn open, exposing the bruises on my skin. I feel uneasy that y/n's seeing me without a shirt on—especially since the tape over my chest is coming loose—but I don't have enough energy to cover myself.

My gaze drifts to y/n, whose face is soaked in tears.

"Don't," I mumble, reaching my hand up to cup their cheek. "Don't cry."

They sob, and place their hand on top of mine.

"I-I'm sorry... I shouldn't have let you fight your father. I knew you weren't ready, not after the power exchange at the temple."

"It's not your fault," I whisper. I wish I could run my fingers through their hair to calm them down, but I can't reach. "I just wasn't strong enough."

Y/n shakes their head. "No."

"It's true. I'm not strong enough to save Ninjago. I'm not strong enough to protect my friends, to protect you."

"That's not your burden to carry. I'm not going to let you do this by yourself, Lloyd Garmadon."

"Let me do what?"

"Save Ninjago."

LLOYD

With that, I grab Lloyd's hand and hoist him up onto his feet. He groans in pain, and I want to beat myself up at the thought of hurting him, but I know we're running out of time.

"I'm getting you up there, even if I have to carry you," I tell him, my voice determined as steel. I feel like Sam from Lord of the Rings.

He nods, and doesn't argue when I put my arm underneath of his to give him support. Once we're in a good position, we start walking.

I glance behind me, to see Cole and Kai still battling the stone warriors. With a grunt, I reach behind me to shoot a ray of y/e to aid them. I hit my target—a group of warriors ganging up on Kai—but then continue on my way.

It takes us ten minutes or so to reach the top, and by that time, Lloyd is extremely pale. He looks like he's about to pass out once he's on the final platform, but I keep him upright.

"Okay, we're here," I breathe.

He looks up at me. "Now what?"

"I don't know, get his attention or something?"

Lloyd nods and pulls himself up to full height.

"You!" he demands at the dragon above us. "Release Ninjago from the darkness!"

"That's the best you got?" I whisper.

He sticks his tongue out. "Shut up."

The overlord notices us, and takes a few steps towards us.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" The dragon booms. "Is this a challenger I see before me?"

What am I, invisible? I think, rolling my eyes. Of course the overlord only sees Lloyd as a threat, not me.

"I'm here to fight you!" Lloyd says as loudly as he can.

This would be the time I'm supposed to let him go fight the overlord on his own, but something tells me that things aren't going to go the way I remember it.

Screw the prophecy. Lloyd needs my help, whether or not it's his destiny to face our enemy alone.

"I'm right behind you, Lloyd," I tell my teammate. This may not be what's supposed to happen, but this is the way I'm going to do it anyway.

The overlord takes a deep breath in and releases a blast of fire. It comes straight towards us, but Lloyd grabs my waist and holds me close as he uses his power to form a shield.

After a few minutes of blocking the flames, Lloyd starts to get tired. The fire has pushed us back towards the edge of the building, and we both scream as we nearly topple off.

Lloyd suddenly grunts and holds his chest, and the shield loses its power. Lloyd, exhausted, crumpled to the ground, leaving us defenceless.

"Lloyd!" I cry, trying to wake him up by shaking him. Unfortunately for us, this is the overlord's chance to get rid of us once and for all.

The dragon takes another breath in, but before he lets out the fire, I step in front of Lloyd.

"You will not hurt my friend!" I shout, and I aim my power towards the overlord. It's enough to make a shield, but it uses a lot of my energy to keep it up.

My feet start tingling. I look down, and they aren't on the ground anymore. The shield is now swirling around me in rays of f/c light, protecting me from harm. But it's not enough to fend off the overlord forever; my feet start to lower as the flames' intensity increases. Lloyd grabs onto 

Lloyd grabs my arm. We link hands, and suddenly, his feet lift off the ground as well. He meets my gaze with glowing green eyes. There's golden energy swirling around him, but not nearly enough to defeat our enemy.

And that's when I realize what I have to do. Lloyd needs to reach his full potential in order to defeat the overlord, but he isn't at his full strength. But if he takes mine...

I give him all the energy I have. I can feel my elemental powered swirling around is, but I can barely see anything in front of me. I feel nauseous, as if I'm about to lose my lunch like I'm losing my stamina.

The overlord shrieks, and within minutes, he collapses, disappearing into a cloud of dark mass.

"We did it," Lloyd says as we sink back towards the ground.

"Yeah," I breathe, swaying.

"Whoa, you okay?"

I stumble into him. "Just a little dizzy."

"Can I do anything?"

"No, just... just hold onto me for a second."

He nods, and wraps his arms around me. I close my eyes as I try to get the blood back into my brain.

"Is that all I am to you?" he asks quietly, interrupting the silence. "A friend?"

"That is the wrong thing to be focusing on right now," I say with a smile. "But no. You are so much more than that to me. The overlord didn't need to know that, though."

"I guess not."

"Hey, um.... Lloyd?"

He looks down at me.

"I can't feel my legs."

He laughs and helps me onto the ground. He sits next to me to make sure I stay upright. I intertwine my fingers with his, relaxing into this newfound sense of peace.

"This probably isn't the right time, but... can I kiss you?" he asks.

I blush, then nod. He leans in close to me and presses his lips to mine. After a few seconds, I pull away and rest my forehead against his.

The moment is so peaceful, I almost forget that this isn't the end of the overlord.

————————

Oops.

I just watched a clip of the final battle after writing this, and holy crap the storyline was way off.

Eh. Whatever. I'm too lazy to change it, so you're just gonna have to deal with it.

Peace ✌🏻