Chapter 17 - Shipper Vibes

"Hey, uh, y/n? Can I talk to you for a minute?" Lloyd asks.

"Mmkay."

He leads me out of the living room and into the hall so we're out of earshot from the rest of the team.

"So," he starts. "About what I said."

I tilt my head, unsure of what he's referring to.

"I... I kinda told you I like you."

"You did?"

"Yeah, I mean... that's what I meant by you're wonderful."

"Oh, yeah, right." My heart starts pounding. "Hold on--you remember that?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I thought you forgot everything about the time travel incident."

Lloyd shakes his head. "Nope."

My lips retreat into a thin line as a violent blush spreads across my face.

"Did you by any chance hear what I said after that?" I ask through gritted teeth.

"Uh... was it some kind of threat?"

I fold my arms. "I may have sort of told you that you're wonderful, too."

Lloyd matches my blush, and takes a step closer before holding out his arms. I awkwardly waddle between them so he can give me a hug.

We've hugged plenty of times before, but this one feels different. Lloyd hasn't been too touchy since we got aged up because of his dysphoria, but here he is, his hands around me instead of covering himself. 

I slowly move my arms around his waist so I can hug him back, and he tenses up, but only for a moment. My heartbeat slows down over the next ten seconds as we stand there, and I start to question if this is what safety feels like.

"I'm not sure what to say," I say as we pull away. "What does this mean?"

"It means he should ask you out!!" a voice hisses.

We turn to see Nya peering out from the corner. I can see a few stands of Jay's hair sticking out into the hallway.

"What are you waiting for?" she whisper-shouts to Lloyd, as if I can't hear her. "The mood is perfect!"

"Perfect for what?" I ask.

Jay finally makes an appearance, and gestures to Lloyd. "Go on, man!"

Lloyd grimaces and shakes his head.

Nya sighs and pulls Jay away by the hood of his sweater. 

"Aw, come on!" Jay complains. "I want my ship to sail!"

"What was that all about?" I ask Lloyd. I prop my foot up against the wall as I lean my shoulders against it. 

"Nothing," Lloyd says quickly.

"Hey! I'm not nothing!" Jay protests. "I am a very important person! I am the president of the (insert your ship name here) fan club!"

Lloyd covers his face with his hands and presses his thumbs into his eyes. I fold my arms in front of my chest as I wait for him to explain himself.

He scratches his lip, looking pretty uncomfortable. "Jay told me I should ask you out. Like, on a date."

"Why?"

He shrugs. "He says when you like someone, you should ask them out."

"Oh. I mean, yeah, sure I guess that's what people do. I'm not very good at this whole liking-someone thing."

"I don't have to ask if you don't want me to."

"ASK THEM YOU FOOL!" Jay screeches.

Lloyd groans. "Jay!" 

"Hey, it's not just me!"

"What do you—" I stomp over to the living room, where the rest of the team is piled up beside the wall, listening in on our conversation. "Seriously guys?!"

"Heh heh," Kai laughs nervously.

"You were the number one Jaya shipper, so it's time we return the favour," Nya says.

My jaw is on the floor. "Zane? Really? You too?"

"According to my calculations, you two are perfectly compatible," he replies.

Awmigawd. These ninja are annoying the crap out of me.

"Come guys, I think Lloyd's looking for some alone time with his one true love," Cole jokes, pulling the others through the door to the galley (kitchen).

The safety I felt with Lloyd earlier feels tainted now.

"That was weird," I say to break the silence.

"Yeah," he agrees.

We both just stand there for some time, not knowing what to say. Or do.

"Oh, come on!" Nya exclaims, from behind the closed door. "Do something!"

I feel like we're trapped in a zoo surrounded by middle schoolers with sticks. Lloyd and I look at where Nya's face is pressed against the window in the door, then back at each other.

He shrugs. "Do you want to go out with me?"

"Eh, why not."

...

I... I don't know what this chapter was...