Chapter 6: Spies

Jasper Park. Jasper, Nevada.

(Cecilia's POV)

So eventually I found out that the robot's name is Laserbeak. And apparently, it was a male so now I have to call it a 'he'. The day that I brought him home was the day I will never forget.

After I inspected him. I asked him to transform back into a laptop and all went well after that. But when I opened the door to my house he immediately jumped out of my hands, turned into his bird form and started flying around the house.

Good thing mom wasn't home yet.

He disappeared for a few minutes then came back as if nothing happened. He found a spot to settle down and that spot was on top of my mom's precious china cabinet. I told him not to shake the cabinet too much or else I'm doomed.

He understood...

I hope.

I was doing my homework when I heard the front door open and my mom shouting from downstairs.

I went down in a rush and prayed that she didn't see him.

God had other plans.

My mom was shakily using an umbrella as a sword and pointed the thing at Laserbeak while the robot sat on his perch, calmly watching her actions.

I made up an excuse to my mom and said that he was a robotics project that I made. She bought it. But she told me to move him to somewhere else and not in the living room.

He found a safe spot on top of my study desk. He helped me with my studies and homework. When I made a mistake he would chirp and show the correct answer by projecting it through his optics. Ever since that day, he kept following me to school, to the mall, the garage, around the neighborhood and so on.

He would either be in laptop form or his bird form. Some people may think it's creepy but I found it comforting.

It was nice to have someone looking after you.

Now we were at the park on top of a big tree. I sat on one of the branches with my legs crossed and leaned against the trunk while he was in bird form calmly sitting in my lap. I used one finger to trace his head and down to his back.

We were up pretty high so nobody can see us. The park was pretty empty too.

While I continued my actions to Laserbeak, I saw Jack, Raf, and Miko walk into the park. The kept looking around for something. I raised an eyebrow as Jack took out a small machine that looked like a radio.

Oh, what's this?

I was up too high so I couldn't really see what was in his hands. Miko started talking to him with her hand gestures. I gave a quiet chuckle at the confused look on the older boy's face.

Then a green truck pulled up beside them. Laserbeak gave a small chirp and jumped out of my lap.

A man got out of the truck and spoke to Miko. She gave him a hug and grabbed his arm, pulling him to where Jack was walking around the park, waving around the small machine in the air.

Laserbeak hopped on my shoulder and projected a video of them right now. This time I could hear their voices.

"Are you sure the energy came from this place Miko?" the man asked.

"Positive Bulk! We were just walking around and then the thingy that Ratchet gave us started making weird noises."

"Shhh!" Jack said. "Listen, guys."

The machine gave a small repetitive beep that started slowly. Then, Jack walked over the tree that Laserbeak and I were in. I plucked the metal bird off my shoulder and gestured him to transform. He turned off the projection and so what I told.

"Hello!" Miko shouted. "Anyone up there?!"

I blinked down at them. They still couldn't see me but if they could, they'll see my dubious face from where I sat. What if I wasn't the one up here. What if it was another person or a robot thing like Laserbeak. You'll never get them down, girl you need to work on your strategies and outcomes.

I slipped Laserbeak into my bag and took out a sketchbook and a pencil. Just for show.

I climbed down and as my feet touch the ground they gasped.

"Ceci?" Raf said. Jack threw the thing he was holding on the ground and stepped in front of it.

I bet he thought I didn't notice.

I looked at them and gave a wave.

"What we're you doing up there?" Jack asked a shaky smile was on his face.

"Who's this girl?" 'Bulk' whispered to Miko.

"She's one of our friends at school," she whispered back.

I showed them the drawing of the park that I made a few days ago. And again, I just needed them to believe that I was getting a good view of the park to draw today.

They believed me.

"Oh wow!"

(Not my art :v Got it from google)

"That's so cool!" Miko squealed.

I smiled and used sign language for saying 'Thank you'.

Raf understood but the three others didn't.

"What's she doing with her hands?" 'Bulk' questioned.

"She's using sign language." Raf pushed up his glasses a bit. "And she's saying thank you."

"Aw... Your welcome. Your drawing skills are amazing!" Miko grinned.

After a few minutes staying I got back home. I slid down to the floor of my room as Laserbeak hopped out of my bag flying circles around the room a few times before landing on my head.

I gave a smile and sighed.

That went surprisingly well.

You said it human.

"Bwahh!"

Calm down. It's just me.

"Beaky?"

Yup.

The metal bird chirped at me. He flew down and landed in my lap.

'Oh my God, how is this possible.'