12; Five Confessions and a Kiss

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, Jamie." A smile appeared on her face as she joked, "But you could have said no at any time, you know?"

"You dared me," he pointed out, like that was the most obvious explanation and to him it was. She pulled him into a lot of messes growing up because she dared him to do it and he couldn't back down.

"I'm starting to think you two were a bunch of hellions growing up." Renzulli looked between the couple and playfully shook his head at them.

"It was all her." Jamie nodded his head over toward the brunette. "She was the ringleader."

"Always blaming me," she mumbled, before getting back to the task at hand. She looked down at the poor girl whose life was cut too short. "He's right though, this is recent."

"Hm, maybe you have learned a thing or two, rookie," Renzulli said to his partner. "Of course, it's not up to us to speculate. We secure the scene, and then we wait." Looking off to the side, he saw a couple of suits coming toward them. "Here comes the brain trust now."

Recognizing the man in the lead, he added, "Just our luck. Sonny Malevsky."

"That's Sonny Malevsky?" Jamie questioned, causing Noelle to turn her head to look at the man in the suit. She looked back at Jamie, wondering who this Sonny Malevsky was.

"Yeah, why?" Renzulli questioned him.

"Just..." Jamie paused for a moment, realizing he couldn't spill the real reason he was curious about the man. "I think he used to work with my brother Joe," he added, aware that Noelle was watching him closely. She could tell there was another reason he was asking.

"Renzulli," Sonny greeted as he got closer to the trio. "Ah, you finally got your stripes. Mercy promotion?"

"Don't bust my chops, alright?" Renzulli said back.

"Who's the newbies?" Sonny questioned as his eyes landed on Jamie and Noelle, who were now standing side by side. He turned his attention back to Renzulli. "You babysitting?"

"I feel like it," Renzulli joked as he cut his eyes to the couple.

"I'm the ME. Noelle Kelley." She stepped forward to introduce herself and shake his hand.

"Nice. A ME who actually shows up. You must be new and eager," Sonny guessed, judging her wrongly. Before she could say anything back, he turned toward Jamie and saw the last name on his name tag. "Reagan. So you're the PC's youngest."

Jamie nodded his head to answer, then reached out to grab the back of Noelle's blazer to pull her back the few steps she had taken earlier. If his feelings were right about Sonny, he didn't want her anywhere near him. He wanted to keep her off of his radar.

"Is this your first floater, kids?" Sonny questioned them. After Jamie answered with a yeah, he added, "Well, looks fresh. You should see 'em after a couple of weeks, after the fish and the crabs get to 'em."

"Let's see what we got." Sonny kneeled down by the body, then glanced at Noelle for a moment. "If you're gonna be sick, sweetheart, you might want to step aside."

When he looked back down at the body, Jamie saw her open her mouth to say something rude back, causing him to step up behind her and slap a hand over her mouth to stop her. He shot her a warning look before removing the hand.

A fake smile appeared on her face as she looked over at Sonny. "FYI, Detective Malevsky, this might be Officer Reagan's first floater, but it's not mine. I can handle it."

"Suit yourself." Sonny turned his attention back to the body, missing the look she shot him.

"You two probably think she jumped from the Manhattan bridge and floated down, right?" Sonny lifted his head to look at the ME and rookie cop.