Not an update

But hey! Thought I might just do an Avenger imagines soooo here's something for y'all to decide if I should publish one.

Title: Best Girl
Theme: Angst-ish
Pairing: Steve Rogers x reader

This is the only shot we've got, Y/n!" Steve argued, slamming his fists on the round brown table. You flinched and looked up to him–locking eye contact with the Captain. Seeing the angered and hurt expression painted across his face, his eyes–that, somehow, lost its' vibrant blue color–reflected the emotions that he was expressing. You frowned, looking away with a heavy heart. It's been five years, five years since you lost everything. Steve lost half of the world, he lost his best friend, and he blamed it all on himself.

You tried to tell him that it wasn't his fault, you really did, but he didn't listen. He wanted to do things right, even if it meant losing you.

You heard soft footsteps coming towards you and a hand placed on your cheek, making you look back at him. "It's the only way." He whispered, caressing your cheekbone with his thumb. With each moment passing by, the more it hurt you. You didn't want to lose him–you already lost so much to Thanos and you wanted Steve to know that. "Steve, do you still love her?" The question pierced through his heart, like one of Clint's arrows.

He loved you–he always did; you were there when he needed someone to hold on to or when he needed to love, you were there. Yet, he'll always hold a special place for Peggy in his heart. He spent the nights sleeping in the same bed with you, only to dream about his first love. He was guilty, he genuinely loved you, but he couldn't deny that he still loved Peggy as well.

Steve remained silent as he his eyes stared into yours, making your heart break. You pulled away from him, instantly missing the warmth of his hand on your cheek. You walked towards the door and stopped to look over your shoulder, seeing Steve still looking at you.

"This is the only shot we've got, Captain. You wouldn't want to miss that dance with her, yeah?"

- - -

"Sweetheart, you go with Steve," Tony said, looking over to you as you watched Bruce walking away to get the time stone. You looked at Tony and then at Steve, only for a second, before nodding at Tony. "You okay?" Scott asked softly, smiling at you. You nodded and patted his head, "Go easy, big guy." You said and flicked your hands, yellow dust emanating from the sides of your fingers.

You followed Steve, trailing behind him as Scott and Tony parted ways with you. You could hear Scott's bickering over the comms that was placed in your ear, yet it was muffled–as was everything else–for you were focused on Steve's strong back as he continued to walk. Since the plan was to retrieve all the Infinity Stones, the both of you never got the time to talk again. He worked on his own stuff, while you worked with Scott and the others to do the suits.

Clint was the first to try it out, after he explained how he saw his house again, and heard his children–you were confident about the mission going well, but that what hurts the most. If the mission goes well, Steve would be able to see Peggy and he might change his mind to stay. You sulked on that thought as the days carried on, it made your heart heavier as it did.

Once the two of you got into the Tower, you stopped in front of the elevator, standing next to him as he held his shield. "Before we–" Steve was cut off by the sound the elevator doors opening. You nodded at the men in it, seeing Rumlow with the case that held the scepter from in it. You walked inside, standing behind Steve as the men suspiciously looked at the both of you. He began insisting the case to be carried by him, but they refused.