F. Iero - Keep Running

SING IT FOR THE– excuse me. lowkey inspired by d:bh.

- - -

Frank tapped his pen on the table as his eyes trailed on the robot in front of the class, teaching them Algebra. He laid his head on the desk, looking outside the big window besides him. He saw the birds, flying freely in the sky.

Freedom, something the people of Battey City haven't felt in quite a while now. Frank sighed, closing his eyes. He focused on his own breathing, not minding the robotic voice in the background.

The bell rang, making Frank open his eyes. He heard chairs being dragged as the students slowly exit the room. Frank sat up straight, grabbing his bag from the ground.

"Frank?" He heard a voice call out from behind him. He pushed his notebook in the bag and looked back, seeing his best friend. "Oh, hey." He smiled as he stood up, slinging the bag over his shoulder.

Y/n smiled, clutching her books in her arms. "Do you wanna walk home together?" She asked, her voice calming Frank in a good way. Frank nodded, "Yeah, sure." He said and they walked out of the classroom.

As they walk out of the campus, Frank observed the society that they lived in.

Artificial intelligence filled every corners of the streets, and it made Frank wonder. How was it to feel freedom again? He pondered in the back of his mind as he nibbled on his thumb.

". . .Frank?" "Huh?" Frank looked at his best friend and she giggled, handing him a wrapped box. Frank looked at it and back at her, his eyebrows furrowed in an adorable manner.

"I know you're going to have your birthday soon, so I grabbed you something." She blushed, smiling warmly at him. Frank blinked and smiled, "Thank you, Y/n. You- you didn't have to."

He took the box and tore it apart, crumbling the gift wrap in his hand. Frank's eyes widen as he took the piece of clothe inside. It was a jacket; a denim-like one with yellow sleeves and a bunch of badges on it. He blushed, "This is the–"

"The one you always wanted? Yeah," She scratched the back of her neck, looking away. Frank held it up, admiring it more. "But this costed a lot. I can't- I can't have this." Frank said, holding the jacket.

She shook her head, "You must have it! I saved enough money for this," She giggled and Frank sighed, smiling. "Thank you, Y/n." "You're welcome, Frank."

- - -

Frank sat in class, waiting for his best friend to arrive. He had the jacket on his body, giving him warmth inside the A/C room. The bell rang, signaling the first period is about to start, but she wasn't there.

The class went on, Frank's eyes glued on the door. There was something heavy in his chest; worry and sadness. After moments, that felt like years for Frank, the door opened.

Frank smiled, but it soon flattened down as she walked inside the class. There was a large bandage on her cheek and she was avoiding any eye contact. She sat behind Frank, the chair dragging across the floor in a quiet way.

Frank immediately turned to her, gently grabbing her face to examine the bandage. "What happened?" He asked, his eyes swirling with worry. She frowned, looking down at her desk.

"The– the house robot became deviant and started–" She closed her eyes, tears running down her cheeks and on Frank's thumb. Frank's breath hitches and that made his blood boil.

"We need to leave," "W-what?" Frank stood up from his chair, making the robot– who was teaching them –look at his direction. "Mr. Iero, please sit down." It ordered, Frank scoffed and grabbed her arm before dashing out of the classroom.

He could hear them calling out to the both of them, but he never turned back. He needed to keep her safe, to feel freedom again, he needed to escape Battery City.

And so they did.