we're obviously going to sword fight first

:june 13, 2019

     "did i mention that i hate this?"

     "yes, two hundred times since we left."

     "well, i hate this." luke huffs as he sinks down in his seat.

     ashton rolls his eyes. "like it or not, we can help."

     "i still don't like the idea of mike being anywhere near this." luke mumbles.

     luke absolutely despised every single bit of the situation they're in. he put his foot down, refusing to allow ashton and michael to go back to boulder with him and calum.

     three days later, all four boys were in a hotel room in boulder and luke was pissed. he doesn't even know how it happened. calum marked it down as luke being a useless bottom and giving in to michael's puppy dog eyes.

     "you know i'm not made of glass, right?" michael looks up from his position at the table, hunched over a laptop with an array of firearms and other various weapons strewn across the table. "i was on my own for two and a half years and i didn't die."

     luke rolls his eyes. "yeah, because you weren't on the run from a mob boss. all you had to do was not get caught by the cops."

     "yeah, you had it good." ashton comments, and michael throws a sharpie at him.

     "you're the reason i was on the run, asshole!" michael tosses his arms in the air as he leans back in the chair dramatically. "why am i being treated like a baby?"

     "i don't want you to get hurt, mike." luke stares down at the table.

     the thought of michael putting himself in danger on account of luke, terrified him. luke wanted to get michael as far away from this life as he could. luke knew too well that his job is bloody, dark, and dangerous.

     "i'm not. i'll be fine."

     calum bursts into laughter, sinking in his seat as he covers his mouth with his hand.

     "look, the point here is that none of us will be fine," ashton stands up, tossing his finished rubix cube onto the table. "and assuming we will be is what will get you killed. now," he takes the laptop from michael, swatting michael's hands away as michael reaches for the laptop. "when y'all get to the warehouse, the back entrance will probably be your best bet, based on these blueprints. it's a straight shot to the office from there."

     "so your plan is to walk right in like, "my name is inigo montoya, you killed my father. prepare to die." and expect to not be shot on sight?" michael raises an eyebrow at luke.

     luke rolls his eyes as he stands up. "no, i'm not stupid. i'm going to sword fight him first, obviously."

     "no matter who you are, the princess bride will always be there for you." ashton mumbles under his breath.

     "we've got a plan, michael. don't worry about it." calum says.

     michael is going to worry about it a lot. he won't ever understand luke's life.

     the air in the hotel room is heavy when calum and luke leave. calum kisses ashton goodbye and luke hugs michael tight- michael almost kisses him before stopping himself.

     "why are you being so fucking shady?" michael turns to ashton as soon as calum and luke shut the door behind them.

     "what?" ashton looks up, sadness laced in his voice as his face contorts from confused to offended. "what are you talking about?"

     "everything since this whole sasha thing started." michael crosses his arms. "why are you being so shady about it? and how did you know there'd be security cameras in the warehouse?"

     ashton furrows his brows at michael before looking down as he runs his hands through his hair. "i'm sorry if it looks like i'm acting shady, but i'm scared as fuck and i look over my shoulder when i go to the fucking bathroom because i'm terrified they're going to find me."

     "oh."

     "and i knew there would be security cameras because i'm not stupid. he's a mob boss, he's going to have security cameras." ashton rolls his eyes. "did you think i was working for him or something?"

     michael shrugs. "i don't know. i just thought you were acting suspicious."

     "my boyfriend lives a very dangerous life and i am very stressed because of it." ashton replies. "i don't know what you expected my answer to be."

     and michael didn't really know what he expected, either. he was wary of ashton, half expecting the man to admit he's been a double agent this entire time. he also knew that's irrational, though.

     "i don't know," michael huffs, plopping down on the couch. "i'm just paranoid, sorry."

     ashton sat down at the table, burying his head in his hands as he sighed.

     lying actually did have an effect on ashton, contrary to what he told himself.