XXIV. The Day I Laid On Hot Asphalt For Her

A/N: Remember to vote, comment, and follow for updates!

———
XXIV. The Day I Laid On Hot Asphalt For Her

CARTER

It's just past noon when the alarm starts blaring through the loudspeaker of the station. Everyone in my crew starts getting in their gear when Chief Wittmore yells out information on the incident.

"Okay boys we've got a near fatal car accident on the highway heading East. It's a black GMC Terrain that barrel rolled down highway marker 13 into a ditch. The female driver is currently unresponsive so let's hurry up!" he yells out.

As soon as I hear that information I get a bad feeling. That's the same kind of car as Heather's. It would also be on her way home. As I get the rest of my gear on I run up to the Chief before getting into the back of the engine.

"Chief I think I may know who it is. Did they happen to get the license plate number?" I ask him and he shakes his head. Shit! I won't know for sure until we get on the scene of the accident.

When we finally pull up to the scene and I see the vehicle on its roof in a ditch on the side of the highway, my heart stops and I nearly fall to my knees, it's Heather's car. I quickly make my way over to it as I yell out to the Chief.

"It's Heather Daniels, call her brother Chief Deputy Daniels right now!" I yell out at him and he nods his head, grabbing his phone.

I get down on my hands and knees next to her car and when I see Heather my heart stops once again. She's strapped into the seat, her arms dangling as she hangs upside down. Her eyes are closed and I quickly reach through the shattered driver side window and feel for a pulse. Luckily there's one but it's faint, she needs to get to the hospital right away.

"Heather baby, please wake up sweetheart," I try to shake her awake but she doesn't respond. Fuck!

"Allen, we need to get her out of there as soon as possible and to the hospital!" Morgan yells at me through the other side, a look of worry imminent in his brown eyes.

I quickly kneel up, trying for the driver door but it's been wedged shut from impact and the roof is too smashed down to get her out through the window. I undoubtedly know we'll have to flip the vehicle and use the jaws of life to cut the roof off to get her out.

"Allen! Daniels is on his way and the tow truck is on its way to flip her over so we can get her out. How is she doing?" Chief Wittmore kneels down next to me as I get back on my side and check Heather's pulse once more. It's still faint but at least she still has one.

"She still has a pulse Chief. That tow truck needs to hurry the hell up!" I scream in aggravation as I feel my emotions getting the best of me.

I've been doing this for a while and I've seen some things that would scar a grown man. However, there's nothing like seeing someone you care about, someone you're in love with, especially in a situation like this and there's nothing you can do.

I hear Chief ask if everything is okay and Morgan informs him that I know the girl personally, that she's my girlfriend. God I wish she was. No, this stubborn woman won't let me give her that title right now.

I look at the woman I love and wish I would've told her how I felt. I should've told her even if it meant her laughing at me, calling me crazy. Maybe I am, because God knows I'm crazy in love with her.