PROLOGUE: Once Upon A Time

A/N: Just like all the rest, this has been turned into a short prologue and I hope you enjoy! This ones a little different though since it's from the POV of Dean Daniels, Heather and Nate's dad. I decided to write this because it's an important and devastating moment for both Heather and Nate. Once you read further into the story, you'll understand. I assure you, it's not a happy moment.

Remember to vote, comment, and follow!

———
PROLOGUE: Once Upon A Time

DEAN

"Long ago there lived a King and Queen who said every day, "If only we had a child!"  But for a long time they had none," I start off the story of Sleeping Beauty while my little girl Heather curls up next to me, eyes wide in wonder of the pictures on the pages.

I continue reading through the same story I read her every chance I can before bed. Right now the rodeo is on break so for the last week I've been able to read this bedtime story every night, making my little girl as happy as a princess.

She listens intently and when I glance up, I notice my son Nathan leaning back against the wall across the hall with his arms folded over his chest. He's acting like he's not listening or enjoying the story but I know he is. My tough little guy—one day when he has a daughter of his own, he'll understand.

But right now at ten years old—girls still have cooties and it's all about sports and manly things. Girls, love, marriage, and children are the last thing on his mind.

"The Prince went on farther.  All was so still that he could hear his own breathing.  At last he reached the tower and opened the door into the little room where the Princess was asleep.  There she lay, looking so beautiful that he could not take his eyes off her.  He bent down and gave her a kiss.  As he touched her, Sleeping Beauty opened her eyes and smiled up at him.

Throughout the castle, everyone and everything woke up and looked at each other with astonished eyes.  Within the month, the Prince and Sleeping Beauty were married and lived happily all their lives."

I close the book and Heather purses her lips as she gets lost in her own head. When I sit the book down on her nightstand, I gently slide off her bed and tuck her in.

"Goodnight baby girl, have sweet dreams," I gently kiss her forehead and brush her thick curls from her face.

"Daddy, do you think I'll ever find my Prince Charming like Sleeping Beauty?" Heather looks up at me with innocence and I sit back down on the edge of her bed.

"One day baby there will be a man who will come into your life and change your world. He will love you with his whole heart and you will become his everything," I smile warmly down at her.

"But—that won't happen for many years so for right now enjoy being my little girl without giving your old man a headache with boys trying to win your heart," I chuckle lightly and kiss her forehead once more.

"Okay Daddy. But really I don't want any other boys. I want to marry you since you're like Prince Charming," she beams up at me innocently and I hear Nathan scoff behind me at his little sisters proclamation.

"Okay baby girl. I'll always be your Prince Charming—your knight in shining armor," I grin and stand from her bed, turning the lamp off atop her night stand.

I watch as she cuddles under her comforter with her little teddy bear, closing her eyes as she drifts off into her dreams that only a child could provide.

When I walk out of her room, I wrap my arm around Nathan's shoulders, giving him a small shake.

"You laugh now son but one day you'll understand. Especially when you have a daughter—you'll be the first man in her life that she looks up to. You'll set the standards for any other man in her life there after. So set her standards high so only the best make it through," I wink at him and he rolls his eyes.

"Dad—I'll never get married and I'm never having kids. I don't even like girls, they're gross. Bex tried kissing me yesterday and I shoved her face into a mud puddle," he crosses his arms tighter over his chest and pouts.

"Well you know what they say, if you pick on a girl it means you like her, maybe even love her," I tease him as I guide him towards his room.

"As if Dad! I don't like Bex and I definitely don't love her! Yuck!"

He hops on top of his bed while grabbing his Batman comic off his nightstand. I lean against the doorframe and watch him. I notice he's not really reading it but still has a small smile on his face.

I don't care what he says, he loves that girl next door whether he wants to admit it or not. I can see it now—one day he'll woo her heart and they'll make me a proud Grandpa.

"Are you up here giving our babies a hard time Dean Daniels?" my beautiful wife Maria smirks up at me as she wraps an arm around my waist.

"Wouldn't be doing my job as their Dad if I didn't babe," I grin and place a kiss on top of her head.

"No—I guess you wouldn't huh?" she laughs and grabs my hand, guiding me downstairs.

I watch after her with love and affection as she sits down on the sofa, readying herself for a late movie. When I open the refrigerator to grab a beer, I notice there's no more and decide to grab my keys off the hook by the front door.

"I'll be back babe. Need to run by the store to grab a six pack of beer and some ice cream for the kids," I leans over the back of the sofa, giving her a quick kiss square on the lips.

"Okay honey, they'll like that," she smiles and turns back towards the television.

When I start up my Harley and slide my helmet over my head, I notice a few drops of rain land on top of my leather riding jacket. I don't like riding in the rain but it's only down the road and I should be fine.

I'll come back home to my family—safe and sound.