Chapter Ninety-Nine | Third World

Start from the beginning

There was no immediate movement but Hansel kept his gaze fixed onto his teammates back. There wasn't even a slight waver in his form, as he concentrated. And eventually it paid off. As the ground began to tremble.

Following that, squeaking sounds of rusty metal echoed around Hansel and Jakob. Behind them, along the bridge, were lampposts that were feeling the effects of the minor earthquake. They swayed precariously, to a point where they looked like they were going to be torn out of the ground— and then suddenly they stopped.

A deafening cracking sound brought the attention back to Bjorn. In front of him, an impressive structure had since formed from the ground below. It steadily grew, sounds of rubble and rock clunking together as it grew higher. The shadows created by its size, swallowed the forms of those standing nearest.

As mapped out, the wall immediately solved any security issues. It stretched across the entirety of the front of the city, with the only parts which were exposed being the expansive dam that would consume any life that tried to tackle the waters.

On top of that, there was the open area which was designated as the entranceway. Hansel guessed that it would be filled as soon as they retrieved the rest of the survivors.

Supporting Bjorn between the two of them, Jakob and Hansel all but carried the man back across the bridge and towards their new home. Halfway there, the big man fell unconscious, leaving the two of them to carry the full weight of the man who stood at a full height of well over six feet.

Looking at each other, they reached an agreement. Within seconds, Bjorn had vanished and so had the weight on both of their shoulders.

It was clear to see, when they returned to the area where they had faced the Advanced Rotters, that the soldiers had done a good job of cleaning up. The corpses of the Advanced Rotters were no longer visible, along with the mountain of Rotters that they had been previously feasting on. To the side of the area, laid on the grass, was a handful of bodies with material individually draped over them.

The Mirage was used as their base for the current mission, meaning that after carrying out orders, all soldiers had to report back to that place. As the Hydro-City was so large, and there was no guarantee that all Rotters had been taken care of, no one was permitted to go anywhere alone.

Niklas and Roscoe had already returned, their attention consumed by paperwork in front of them. "The wall is done." Hansel revealed and both of the elite soldiers turned to greet them. From there, he was able to see what they were looking at, and it had something to do with the workings of the turbine that was crucial to the Hydroelectric process.

"Where's Bjorn?" Roscoe looked around but couldn't spot him.

"He collapsed; I put him in my pocket dimension. Is everything alright?" Hansel cut in and his eyes found the Commander's. Realising that they fallen into a silent staring-contest, Niklas looked away and tapped the schematics.

"We went and looked at the Dam. It's not as bad as we feared, but there's a few floaters. We found out that there is a filtration system built into the whole process before it goes anywhere near the turbine. But like the whole facility itself, it's not currently working. What's generating the electricity, currently, is what has been previously stored. We're wondering if it would be quicker to use my ability, rather than potentially damaging the system which likely wasn't built to collect multiple bodies."

"Do you think you can heat up water?" Hansel wondered.

Niklas scratched his head then shrugged, "I suppose I could, I haven't exactly tried it. Why?"

"Well, once we remove the corpses then we could also purify it by boiling it."

"Sounds good," Roscoe chimed in, "but what about the corpses that might have sunken?"