Chapter 46

[JENNY]

I failed to have enough sleep... Actually scratch that... I failed to sleep at all.

I was waiting for Noah to come home that I hadn't realized the sun was already rising up. When my eyes finally decided to give up, my alarm clock, that's automatically set 7:15 am on weekdays,  began to rang. Thus, my sleepiness died off.

After taking a brief hot shower and changed into my uniform, I forced my feet down the stairs. Aunt Clare greeted me by the kitchen and told me to have breakfast but I ignored her. I didn't want to talk to her especially with what she said last night.

I went straight to the door. When I opened it, I just froze.

"Noah!" I muttered beneath my breath. He just stood in the doorstep, his head facing down making his fringe cover his eyes, with his hands inside each of his jeans' pockets.

He was covered in dirt. His hair was all ruffled. He looked like someone who's been stranded in an island for three days.

Seconds later, he decided to step in. I moved slightly aside to give him path. He walked stoically up the stairs. Aunt Clare was startled when she saw Noah marching up the stairs as she came out of the kitchen. But she didn't say anything. She just gawked at him with a gaping mouth.

Since I've still got more than 30 minutes spare before first period starts, I decided to follow Noah upstairs. He's probably in my bedroom.

"Where are you going?" Aunt Clare asked looking at me going up the staircase. Still, I chose to ignore her and continued walking. I've never given her my silent treatment before but I just didn't appreciate what she told me last night... Not technically last night but you get the point.

I knocked on the door first, although I don't really see the need for me to do it since it was my bedroom to start with. I just sense that permission is needed if you want to communicate with Noah right now.

I mean by god he looked like a mess.

After three more unresponded knocks, I took the liberty of opening the door. Good thing it wasn't locked.

"Noah?" I called in a low voice almost to a whisper, peeking my head through the doorway. Noah just stood there with his back facing me, so I decided to let myself in.

As soon as I took one step forward after closing the door, Noah turned around; and within a blink of an eye, Noah wrapped me in between his arms. He was basically squeezing me already with the tightness. He buried his face down my neck. I circled my arms around him and started caressing the small of his back.

I felt his shoulders shaking, and he was making snuffling sounds.

No. Wait.

Not just snuffling... He was actually crying.

"Sssh... It's okay," I said calmly while caressing his back to comfort him. I could tell it was working because the shaking of his shoulders slowly subsided. I felt his chest going up and down which means he just took in one deep breathe.

As much as I'm worried about his whereabouts last night, I'm more worried of starting another argument with him again. If I confront him about that matter, he might take it the wrong way and might react negatively. That's something I want to avoid right now.

For now, I should just try and empathize with him even though I don't really have any idea on what's the reason for his tears right now.

Noah pulled back from the hug, but his hands dropped around my waist now. He stared at me and I stared at him back, locking our eyes. His eyes were swollen, puffy, red... Signs that he was crying so hard... Last night probably... Then today.