Chapter 7

"What's going on here?" A man in a cop uniform approached us. The extra people around us skedaddled away, some going back to minding their own business.

Damien stood up looking all smug and unintimidated by the cop at all. I reached for Harris hand and yanked him back up.

"They started it sir," Harris uttered, panting while brushing the small of his balled fist along the part of his chin that had been punched. I looked at him and noticed the mid-sized cut on the corner of his lower lip. Blood was dripping from it down to his chin.

"Me?" Damien squeaked innocently. "I was only trying to hang out with Jenny and he pushed me," he added.

The cop glared at both of them, then he included me. He placed his hands on his waist and exchanged glares to the three of us.

"I don't care who started it. You kids better behave or else I'll have you banned from the mall. You got that?! You're lucky I'm taking this as a first offense. The next time you cause a ruckus I'll put you in jail and ban you for good."

Damien was smirking cynically at Harris and me. His eyes sent me daggers and I had to look down so my eyes won't get stabbed.

"Do you kids understand?!" The cop growled.

"Yes sir!" Harris and I declared in unison after a quick a flinch.

The cop gazed at Damien who was still gawking at us like he was chopping our body parts in his mind.

After the whole incident, Harris and I decided to go out of the mall for good before anything else happens.

However, when we got out of the exit, Harris began to yelp. I jumped out of surprise and glanced at him with a questioning look.

"I forgot to buy Kesha a present!" He gasped while palming his forehead.

"Uhh... I don't think that's necessary," I told him.

"It's a birthday party right? It's not going to be a birthday party without gifts!" He squawked.

I chuckled and tapped his shoulder gently. "Only if you're in 5th grade maybe."

"But... But..."

I didn't give him the chance to protest and I continued walking. Good thing he caught up behind me.

"Fine," he sighed.

*****

Harris drove me home in his car. Yes. Despite being a total dork, Mr. and Mrs. Williams gave Harris his very own car for last year's Christmas.

It was convenient, even for me because whenever we want to hang out to places, we already have a ride.

The only downfall is that he rarely uses it because of reasons he won't tell me. Today was just a fortunate day that he thought of bringing his car to school.

Mr. Sun had already set minutes ago when I got home.

"What time shall I pick you up tomorrow?" Harris head peered through the opened space of his car's window.

I bended my legs a bit so my head would level the car's window. "What time's the party again?"

"Reggie said 8 p.m," he answered. Reggie was one of the losers in school. His loser-ness was all because he was horizontally challenged. But we loved him dearly whatever size he may be.

"So pick me up at 8 then," I replied.

His jaw dropped. "Then we'll be late."

I grinned and nodded. "That's the point dearie."