Chapter 19

I see all three – Deborah and the kids – fall to the ground and I hear Rick let out a painful, ear-piercing roar, before I am pulled away by a strong hand that I know is Dylan's. I hear shooting behind us as all hell breaks loose.

I can hear Rick yell again, but the cry is suddenly muffled and interrupted. I can only assume he's been shot. I can hear others yelling as well and I can see them running in all possible directions.

I can hear Blast running right behind us, when he yells and falls.

''Dylan!'' I yell at him and tear my hand away from his. I turn around and search the tall grass for any sign of Blast in the darkness of the night. Dylan appears next to me and says: ''There.''

He runs and I follow him. We reach Blast, whose leg has been shot. He can't walk.

''Just go on without me,'' He says writhing in pain.

''Are you kidding me? We're not leaving you behind,'' I say and as he looks at me, he seems surprised. Dylan too. What?! They're my guys too now.

''She's right. I leave no one behind,'' Dylan adds and helps him stand.

''But we need to go now or the Mixed will find us. They already know we're here. They've heard us by now,'' I say and Dylan nods.

I lead the way towards the trees, because I know we'll be safer there. The Mixed prefer to loiter out in the open and less so among the dense trees. It's less likely you'll encounter them in a forest, but if you're outside during the night, you will encounter them, no doubt.

We almost reach the trees when I hear a thud, turn around and catch a glimpse of a Mixed crash into Dylan and Blast. They fall to the ground hard, a few meters away from each other. I want to run over to them to help them, but another Mixed attacks me, pushing me against a tree. I hit it as hard as I can, and it actually doesn't hurt as much as I expect it to. While the Mixed prepares for another attack, I pick up the first rock I can get my hands on, and when it jumps towards me, I smash the rock onto its skull with all the strength I've got.

The Mixed falls down to my left and before it can get up again, I slam another blow into its skull and another one, until it stops moving.

Wow, I think to myself. I can be really efficient and strong when I want and need to be.

I get up and start searching for Dylan and Blast in the dark. Then I hear a scream; it's Blast. I run towards the scream and see a Mixed on top of Blast. Dylan runs to him at the same time, knocking the Mixed off him. He tackles it to the ground and I look at Blast.

He coughs up blood and I see a huge wound in his chest. Not on, but in; it's torn open and I suddenly know he's gonna die. He can't survive this. Not out here, in the dark, in the middle of the night.

He chokes on his own blood and I try to make him more comfortable. I try to make his last moments better. But I don't want to lie to him, like they do in the movies, and say that it's gonna be okay. Because it won't be; he's about to die. Instead I just sit next to him, hold his head, tell him to look at me and start singing him a lullaby that I used to sing to Mikey when he was younger. In this moment, I don't care if any Mixed are around or if they hear us or spot us. I just focus on giving Blast a peaceful and respectful last few moments on this Earth, like he deserves.

He lets out his last breath just as Dylan runs back to us. He holds Blast's hand, lowers his forehead to Blast's chin and cries. Quietly, subtly, but I know he's crying.

I now look up and I can see the Mixed that Dylan tackled regaining strength again, so I know we need to get out of here. I slowly get up, grab Dylan by his hand and try to pull him after me, but he won't budge.

I crouch next to him for a moment and say: ''Dylan, we need to go.''

''He's gone,'' He says quietly, visibly shocked by Blast's death. I'm not surprised. They were like brothers to each other.

''I know, but if we don't get out of here, we will be too,'' I say to him.

''We can't just leave him here,'' Insists Dylan. I look over at the Mixed, who's getting ready to attack again. I need to get us out of here, fast.

I pull Dylan's face towards mine with a swift movement, so his eyes are staring into mine. I have never in my life seen them filled with so much sorrow and distress and I hate to see Dylan in so much pain. But I know that right now, there is not time for feeling pain.

''I know he's gone, but there's nothing we can do for him now. We can still save ourselves, but we need to go, now!'' I say and pull him with me as I start running. This time he lets me lead him, running fast, right behind me, his hand in mine.

We reach the forest when all of a sudden another Mixed slams into me, and my hand is ripped from Dylan's and I am thrown to the floor.

''Taya!'' I hear Dylan yell behind me. When I open my eyes, he's fighting a Mixed, until he breaks its neck and throws it to the floor. He's very strong. I've never seen a human snap a Mixed's neck with so much ease like that. Not that I've seen many humans kill the Mixed anyway.

Dylan collects himself and quickly runs to me, crouching down and saying: ''You okay?''

I nod and he grabs me, pulling me up with him as he gets up, so our faces meet each other, and are now only inches apart. I smile at him, he does the same, and then he grabs my hand, pulling me behind him as we run into the cold, dark night, hoping to outrun the Mixed.