Chapter 13

Our first kiss after four years is sweet and gentle. But it soon becomes passionate and ardent. We can both feel the years we've lost and we want to make up for them. Not just the four years that we spent apart, but also all the other years before that that we spent denying and hiding our feelings. They're all catching up to us, and we're kissing each other fiercely, almost frantically, like this is our first and last kiss all in one.

The cozy warmth from his lips spreads to mine and his tongue finds mine. He puts his hand on the back of my neck, pulling me closer. The other hand travels to my hips, squeezing them gently, finding just a little bit of naked skin and stroking it. I feel the warmth of his palm spread over my hips and the small of my back, but I pull back, before anything else could happen.

The last time we kissed so desperately and sensually was right before he left to join the army. That was our last kiss; or so we thought. It was shadowed by the fact he'd leave soon and we'd probably never see each other again. It was a goodbye kiss.

But the kiss that just happened is free of all that. He said he wouldn't leave me again and I dare believe him. We're both adults now, so age isn't a problem anymore. And our parents also aren't here to tell us what to do anymore. We're free. We have each other. And I want this, I want him, I want us, but I'm not ready for more. There are still so many things left unsaid between us and quite honestly, I'm a bit confused. He left me once and he wanted to leave me again just this morning. Even though I believe his words now, I'm scared he'll just leave me again. I'm afraid he'll just change his mind in a second and let me go again.

So I slowly pull away from him, even though deep inside I don't want to, and say: ''I need time.''

He puts his forehead on mine and smiles. ''It's okay. If we've got anything, it's time.''

I smile back at him and hug him. I can't believe he's here with me. It feels so unreal, so unbelievable. I truly never thought I'd see this day. I never thought I'd get to kiss and hug him again. But it is true. I better believe it.

A while later, we return to our camp and though nobody says anything, I see TJ and Blast winking and smiling at me and Dylan. I simply have to laugh at them; they're so silly, but also so kind and friendly.

After all of them finish packing their things, we continue our journey. A few hours later, I notice the sun has almost set, but thankfully we reach a house. It's more of a mansion, really. It's in the countryside, in the middle of two low hills and surrounded by trees; so it's quite well hidden. I look up and see it has four floors. Wow, I've never seen a house so big.

In front of it are three large pillars holding up a small roof. Under it is a big porch with a coffee table, two armchairs and a swing.

''Wow. Never slept in a mansion before,'' Says Benson.

''It's funny how we get to enjoy more luxurious commodities after the world has been annihilated by wars,'' Adds Jonah.

We enter the house slowly and cautiously, keeping our guards up. There are wide stairs right in front of us, in the middle of the hall, separated in the center, each end coming down at one side of the room. The hall is strangely tidied up. There's some stuff on the floor, but it's stuff that's supposed to be there, like shoes and rugs. This place is much better than most - or even all - houses I've been to. It almost looks like someone cleans it up a little from time to time. There are even some trophies and pictures on the wall and on the floor below it. If I didn't know any better, I'd say ... somebody lives here.

I shrug off the unpleasant though and start climbing the stairs to look around the upper floors, when I hear a click to my left and a voice saying: ''Uh-uh-uh. Step down from the stairs missy.''