10: My Teacher is a Werewolf and I'm His Mate. Wait, What?!

Start from the beginning

"No, why? Did you think I had?" Had he honestly thought people would want to be around the town freak? "Logan, no on at school can even look me in the eye. What would make you think any guy would want to go on a date with me?"

His frown deepens. "Why wouldn't they? Lexi, love, obviously you don't see the look in every teenage boys eyes when they see you. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to rip their heads off for the way they watch you."

He can't be serious, can he? No guy at school gives me a second glance, unless it is to make fun of me. Why would he think that they would want anything to do with me, let alone do what he's saying they do? It doesn't make sense, if any guy had looked at me the way he's suggesting I would have noticed and trust me no one has looked at me like that. Except for him, except for my teacher. Shouldn't that thought creep me out?

"You're not serious. No one wants anything to do with me because I'm the town freak." I shrug, unconcerned and get out of the car, before he can sense the hurt. He always does that, he always seems to know what I'm feeling and he won't tell me how. If I try to hide it he gets hurt because I don't tell him, but its not really his problem so why should I concern him with it? He's probably got more important things to deal with than my problems.

"The town freak, love, you don't see yourself clearly do you? Those people are all close minded, it isn't your fault that they can't accept that you're different." He whispers the words softly, says them in a way that makes me want to believe thats why everyone whispers when I walk by, why they've tried to talk my dad into sending me to an insane hospital.

"Right, of course not, but it is my fault my dad and Gloria have decided they can't be in the same house with me for too long." I snap, ignoring the way he flinches at the sound of my voice. How did we even start talking about this? I don't want to talk about it, to recognize the hurt that always comes when I think about this, but he started it. He's the one that asked me about this, the one that wanted to know why I didn't see myself clearly.

"You don't really believe that do you, love?" He asks, taking a step closer to me as I wrap my arms around myself. The cold is seeping through his leather jacket, chilling me to the bone, and not all of the cold is from the weather. Tears fill my eyes and I don't even know why, there's no point in crying.

"Its the truth." My dad and I were never close, we never had the father/daughter relationships I see on movies or TV, but he'd at least been able to stand my presence before I started talking to the dead. It started on my tenth birthday and ever since he's always watched me like he's afraid of me, that at some point I'm going to snap and hurt someone. When he met Gloria things seemed to get better for a while, they would just go on trips a lot. Not long trips, maybe 3 or 4 days at a time, but they just keep getting longer and longer. I won't be surprised if one day they just don't come back at all.

It makes me wonder what things would be like if I was normal. Would my mother have left? Would we still be that perfect little family people had always thought we were? My parents had never truly been happy together, I think, but if my mother and I weren't empathic would things be different? If they'd stayed together, if my dad had given her more chances, would he be miserable or would they have gotten over their issues and have been as happy as he and Gloria are now? But the one question that is haunting my mind, the one thing that is never far from the front of my mind: Would I have met Logan if things were different?

If my family was normal would I have met him? That is the one thing that keeps me from wishing I was normal, the one thing that doesn't make me want a different life. He's special to me, he's my mate I guess, what would it be like if I hadn't met him? It seems soon to be thinking like this, but I can't help it. I don't want things to change, to make me lose him, but there are times when I wish I was normal. That I could say when I'm older than I had a normal highschool experience, that I had great friends and that I loved highschool. But that will never happen and right now I don't think I'd want it too.