two | shell shocked

Start from the beginning

"Of course," Adjusting her purse strap on her shoulder. She strutted confidently across the floor towards his doorway. She couldn't allow him the satisfaction of knowing she felt like complete crap about what she said to him earlier that morning. Unbeknown to the fact that he was The Mr. Maverick. Stepping past him in the office she could smell his cologne lingering in the fairly spacious room.

"Have a seat Ms. Calhoun," His voice had a comforting rasp to it. Yet it was deep, almost like carrying power to command anyone to do just about anything. She didn't notice that from their prior encounter at the coffee shop. Funny, she didn't give him much room to speak either.

Stevie moved to take a seat in thee gorgeous olive green chairs stationed across from his desk. Exhaling softly to herself, she slowly lowered her bottom into thee plush cushion. Nervously picking at thee material of her skirt.

Finally Tremaine returned to his seat. Unbuttoning the middle button of his suit jacket he cleared his throat and slide up to his desk.

"Look I apologise for the--"

He held his hand up to silence her.
"-- No need. So you worked for?" Searching through the papers in front of him. "Edwards and Staggers?"

"Yes for thr--"

Clearing his throat he grabbed the file in his large hands and relaxed in his seat interrupting her statement. "Why'd you leave got fired?" He inquired with a low snicker.

Stevie raised a brow at his snarky remark. "Actually not to expose my life to a stranger. But I had the opportunity to be promoted. But I declined the offer because I'd have to relocate to Pittsburg, and at the time I was the legal guardian for my lil' sister. And I didn't want to uproot her life so suddenly, especially when she was just getting use to the life she was creating for herself,"

"Hmm," He nodded understanding. "Well you have letters of recommendations from some very prominent people. I'm quite impressed, Ms. Calhoun, I mean there's one from Banbury, Dixon and Collins, Gregory Ta..Taylor, he was my mentor in college,"

"Really?" Stevie straighten her posture in her seat. "He was my mentor as well. Mr. Taylor was thee one to give me my first job. I worked with him for three years until he got sick. Even then his wife wanted me to assist him to work from home," 

Tremaine stared up at her for a moment under his glasses. Then seconds later he looked away from her and back down at the papers he read from. "How'd you hear about this job?'' He asked.

"Well your assistance, Valerie Bright? We're neighbors, she explained that she was taking maternity leave, and that you'd need a good reliable assistant who can keep up with you. Someone like myself," She boasted proudly.

"Ha," He laughed. "I'm sorry but I'll be the judge of that. I mean yeah you have some good reviews, couple nice recommendations. But everyone isn't the same. My life is a whole lot different than what you're probably use to. I have zero tolerance for fuck ups. I need some who can and will keep up. I need someone who's responsible like you stated, reliable, organized, efficient. I don't have time for half-ass work. And this isn't a daycare. So I don't like any damn tears. So you think you're willing to fill the position?" He removed his glasses from his face. Clasping his fingers in a praying manner as he relaxed his elbows on his desk.

"I wouldn't have applied if I didn't think I could handle it. And I'm pretty sure it isn't as hectic as you make it seem. I've handled some of thee best in the cooperate world," She replied flatly.

"I'll see about that, you got the job for now. I expect you here every morning at 7:00 sharp, no later than that, also I expect coffee and--" He sank back into his chair caressing his chins hairs. "A banana nut muffin every morning as well,"

"7:00?"

"Is that a problem? Because I can find someone else to do it?"

Stevie laughed and hunched her shoulders. "No problem at all, I can be in at six thirty actually, but if seven is--"

"6:30 it is! I'll have a list of duties for you every morning, which will be sent via text or email, so always check both. And I expect everything done on the list that day. There's twenty four hours in a day no reason you can't get your work done. Also you're to be at every meeting I attend, whether here at the office or away from it. Hmm what else? Oh! I have a certain dress code I expect all my employee's to follow. I don't like jeans, sweats, hoodies. Negative this is an office not the YMCA got it?"

"Heard," Stevie nodded.

"Good next you'll get a hour lunch break. I expect to have my lunch here in my office at 12:30, before you even think about leaving the building got it?"

"Whew you are a pain," Stevie rolled her eyes laughing.

"I'm sorry what did you say? If you'd like to add on to the dialogue, I'd like to hear it," Tremaine glared across the desk at her.

Stevie laughed a tad bit louder. "I apologise, I'm just saying you're stricter than a damn prison guard. No this, no that, left, right, don't breathe without my consent. Loosen up, man,"

Tremaine furrowed his bushy brows in confusion. "I'm sorry this is a million dollar company. Not a damn.... McDonald's, so yes I like my ducks in a row. You don't make it to the top loosened, Ms. Calhoun. But someone like you wouldn't understand. You aren't at the top,"

Stevie gasped inwardly. Standing from her seat she grabbed her bag up on her shoulders. "If I have to be a uptight, careless son of a bitch. With no regard for human feelings? Just to get to the top? I'd kill myself first. So Mr. Maverick? Take this job and stick it up your unhappy, overworked, tired ass. Good day,"  With that she moved away from his desk making a route for the door to exit.

"You'll never make it far with that attitude and mouth," He commented once she grabbed the handle to walk out.

"Yeah? Well this attitude and mouth has did plenty for me. I've worked with some better people than you and they love me. Your priceless ass opinion means nothing to me," Throwing his door opened she walked out of the office.
______________________________

Updattteee 😜💜...

I hope you enjoyed it! It's only going to get better.....