Aℓιcє'ѕ ѕмιℓє

Start from the beginning

            He smiled at the silent phone. "Lucky girl,"

△▼△▼△

            Years later, Devlin met the girl with the bright smile. There she was arguing animatedly with the cashier over ten cents for a chocolate bar.

            Devlin instantly recognized her. How could he forget the face that had everything he ever wanted? Jealously was rising up his throat, bubbling like a poison inside his mouth. He felt annoyed at once.

Setting down his basket, he went over to the chubby cashier and thrust ten cents in his hand. Devlin took the receipt and the chocolate bar and placed them on her hand.

            Scornfully, he spoke. "That's the thing about you, girls; they can't get one thing right,"

"Excuse me?" She bundled her eyebrows together, a strange weariness in her eyes. Upon closer inspection, Devlin realized that there were sleep deprived hollows under her eyes.

"Whatever," He snapped, quickly turning his back towards her, his blood running faster through his veins. She wasn't Mr. Brown's daughter. She couldn't be. Where was the light he had once seen in her?

When she fainted later from low-sugar, Devlin had never felt so bad in his life. Maybe he should have been nice to her. After all it was just ten cents. It's not like he had risked his life for her.

△▼△▼△

She wasn't breathing. Panic struck a chord, lighting a chaotic parade inside his heart. Alice wasn't breathing. Shivering from the cold river's water, he without thinking twice pressed his lips against hers.

Her chest rose while his fell.

            After several minutes, she opened her eyes. Life had returned.

And suddenly he realised that there were greater things she was hiding. Because even though her breaths had returned, there was still that vacancy in her eyes, an emotional vacancy.

            He wanted to help her, the way Mr. Brown had helped him through his tough years. Maybe there was another reason why he wanted to help her. Maybe he just wanted to see that face smile once more.

△▼△▼△

He had been following her since morning. He didn't trust her to not hurt herself again. A nagging feeling inside his chest didn't let him rest in peace.

Devlin began talking to himself, feeling creeped out by the fact that he following a girl to the library. "I want to make sure she's okay...for Mr. Brown's sake. It'll break him if he loses his daughter after he's lost his wife,"

            "Yah, I'll just sit here and wait for her to come out. She'll go home eventually."  He sat down on the bench beneath the lamppost. "Once she gets home safely, I'll feel better,"

△▼△▼△

            He had gone to the hospital for his afternoon shift. It was emergency case and there was no way he could get out of it. During his time at the hospital, he kept fretting about the girl with the lost smile.  The minute his shift ended he rushed to the library.

            "Maybe she left," He sighed, walking from the parking lot up to the library.

            But she hadn't, there she was walking along the pavement, swaying ever so slightly on her feet. It was an almost instinctive reaction. He rushed to her side, catching her before she could hit the ground.

            And so it began.

 She wasn't the only who had fallen that day.

 His heart had fallen as well.

            .

            .

            .

Note: Devlin will still be making an appearance in the next chapter (it's going to from Alice's POV)  In the beginning part of the chapter, I was half in tears –at some point in their lives I think everyone feels estranged from the people they love. It literally the most painful thing to go through and I pray that no-one has to face that.

Hopefully, everything in this chapter made sense. If it didn't, be sure to let me know. (And I purposely wrote Devlin's point of view in a simple manner, he's kinda young in this chapter so excuse his slightly whiny tone) I might do one more Devlin pov, not sure.

On a lighter note, who likes stalker Devlin? Well, he's an amateur stalker.