Chapter Thirty: Kaori

Author's Note:
I'm so proud of myself for getting to chapter thirty!!! XD You should be proud of me, too. :P
This chapter is not my best, I'll admit. I'm reserving the entire series (again -.-') from the library, but I don't have any of them yet and I don't know the plotline perfectly. DX Sorry!
Anyways, after this I'm gonna try and make the story go faster, and just a little note, I'm going to take a quick two to three week break on updating-what-after I post chapter thirty-one or something? I dunno. I'll work out the details later.
Read on, dear Wattpadders! :D
End Author's Note
***
CHAPTER THIRTY: {Kaori}
For some reason, whatever it be, I was not able to understand Japanese well today. This message from Kira was about the hardest thing to understand I'd ever heard, for no reason other than that.
"I will continue to judge the criminals that Kira has not," the scrambled voice said.
I frowned. That was what the voice said, right?
The television flickered, and the screen became nothing but static.
"...Well," I muttered. "That was nice."
L frowned, biting into his donut. I vaguely wondered where he'd gotten it.
"For some odd reason," he began, "seeing this makes me feel as though the second Kira and the original Kira have teamed up."
I blinked. Huh?
"Please explain," Yagami-san said to him.
As L launched into his explanation, I tuned him out and watched Light-kun's reaction to L's reasoning. I didn't really understand what L was on about, but I could deal. I'd just ask him about it later.
Light didn't really seem to be reacting to L's theory at all. I mean, even if he wasn't Kira, wouldn't he at least be surprised slightly?
"I hope that Light-kun isn't Kira," I vaguely heard L say.
I froze. Then my head shot up. What?!
"After all, Light-kun is my very first friend," L said.
I frowned. What about me? What about us? Mello, Matt, Near, Beyond, and I...even A. Were we nothing, or was L just trying to guilt-trip Light, assuming he truly was Kira?
But still. Did L not count us? Were we nothing?
I shook it off. Please. After spending five years together, we wouldn't just be nothing to him.
"Yeah." I nodded. "Light-kun is the only friend that I keep in contact with from high school."
Light smiled. "Probably because we're working on this case together."
I shook my head. "Nah. The others stopped responding to my emails."
"Oh." Light turned to L. "You've been a good friend, too," he said, smiling slightly. "I miss you at To-Oh. We should play tennis again sometime."
Tennis? Since when did L play tennis?
Oh, yeah. He was champion once back in England.
Why do I barely remember that time? I was eight when he was, not so young as to where I'd easily forget.
Whatever.
"I'm gonna go find a donut." I stood up, stretching. "Anybody else want one?"
Matsuda nodded. L didn't need to nod for me to know that he wanted another.
I headed into the kitchen, pulling out my phone when I saw L wasn't looking.
Sally and I had been texting back and forth for a few days. The problem was, we never actually managed to both be on our phones at the same time. It was annoying, being practically on the other side of the world from half-no, most-of the people I knew.
I glanced at my messages. I had sent a text her way at dinnertime yesterday. She'd replied around two in the morning. I responded to her now, which was around two in the afternoon.
I turned off my phone and hunted for donuts, not actually thinking about anything as I did so. I loved the moments where I didn't have to think about what my life was now and what it once had been.
This moment was one of those.
---
"I'm bored...," I moaned theatrically for the hundredth time.
L sighed, looking at me.
"We're getting nowhere. Let's call it a night," Yagami-san decided.
Matsuda nodded, groaning. "Ugh, today seemed to last forever!"
I nodded emphatically.
"Light-kun, you may leave," L said. "But I'm going to have to ask your father to stay a bit later, Mogi as well. Everyone else may go."
Light nodded, standing up and stretching. "Bye, Ryuzaki, Kaor-Kay." He left to go grab his shoes and leave the hotel, Matsuda and Aizawa not far behind.
Though I could have chosen to leave, I stayed, curious about what L was going to say.
Once L saw I wasn't going anywhere, he began.
"Yagami-san, I would like you to linger a bit before going home tonight," he said monotonously to Light'a father.
"Mogi-san," L said, turning to him, "I'd like you to follow Light-kun home. If the two Kiras have met, then it is possible that he might meet up with the second Kira on the way home."
Mogi turned to leave, and Yagami-san started to as well, then paused and sat down after a moment.
I stared at L.
Finally, he sighed. "You can go with Mogi-san."
I smiled slightly. At last, a way to get out of the house-erm, hotel.
I hurried after Mogi, and after my brief explanation as to why I was coming along, we went on our way.
We walked silently through the streets, side by side but with a foot or two of space between us. The only reason you could tell we were going to the same place was because I occasionally asked him which way we were turning.
We must've left too soon after Light, because we accidentally ran into him by a convenience store.
I saw him first, and immediately motioned for Mogi to stop.
He was standing there with that girl I'd seen a few days ago-Rem, I think her name was.
I saw his mouth move. He was talking to her.
I leaned in so I could hear him better.
"Misa," he was saying, exasperated. "I told you to not be seen with me in public!"
I thought her name was Rem...maybe Misa was her last name, though. Or vice versa.
"I'm sorry," she said, not sounding sorry at all as she hugged him tightly. "I just had to see you!"
I turned to Mogi, wide-eyed. Was he hearing this?
No, it turns out, he wasn't.
"Another girl?" he murmured, frowning.
I frowned as well. Light had been seen with other girls as well? Hmm. I'd be telling L about this conversation.
Mogi and I continued to listen in as the two talked. Eventually they stopped and walked off in the direction opposite ours.
"Huh." I looked at Mogi. "Could she have been...?"
He shrugged fluidly, not saying much, yet saying it was a possibility with the shrug. (Mogi-san was far from verbose.)
"C'mon. Let's go back," I said to him. "I think that's all that's gonna really happen tonight."
We started back from where we had come.
"And anyways," I said airily as we hurried through the bright streets of the city, "we've got something to tell Ryu-san, so we've gotta hurry!"
Mogi looked at me a bit oddly when I said that. I wondered why, but would probably never know, so I let it float to the back of my mind.
As we walked, there was a breeze, so once we got into the hotel I sighed in relief.
"You can go, Mogi-san," I said, half-smiling. "I can tell Ryuzaki about this. Night!" I waved as he walked right back out, slightly bewildered.
The elevator took forever to arrive, but the second I got back, I hurriedly went right up to L and eagerly relayed the story.
I noticed him smiling slightly when I finished.
"What?" I asked suspiciously. Had he snapped under the pressure of the case?
He shook his head slightly, signaling that it was nothing.
I shrugged it off reluctantly.
I had a sudden thought, and I knew it was petty, but I still had to ask.
"Is Light-kun really your very first friend?" I asked him cautiously.
L nodded, sipping coffee.
I frowned.
"What about Matt, Mello, Beyond, and Near? What about all the others?" I paused. "What about...me?"
"Mello, Near, and even Matt are competing to be my successor, not my friend," L said in a flat tone. "And you do not count as a friend." He turned to look at the computer screen in front of him. "You must be tired if you're asking things such as that. I'll see you in the morning."
What was that supposed to mean? I thought, frazzled. I went next door.
Once in bed, I paused. And why had he said that I must be tired? He of all people would know that I was an insomniac.
"I have too many questions, and yet no answers," I muttered to myself, staring up at the dark ceiling.
I hate not having answers.