Chapter Seventeen: L

Author's Note:
Oh no, Kaori's dad! What's gonna happen? How will L react to the news?! Read on to find out!
End Author's Note
***
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: {L}
L sighed as the TV screen became static.
He'd been watching and rewatching the tapes Kira had sent in all morning. Yet for some reason, he could only see one thing.
There was a second Kira.
The videos didn't have any hints at who they were made by. The prints on the tapes weren't in the system, so the second Kira wasn't a criminal. The only thing L could see was that the person who'd drawn the "Kira" sign was a terrible artist.
That rules Kaori out as both the first and second Kiras, he thought, hitting the rewind button on the TV remote.
"She's a brilliant artist, from what I can remember," he muttered softly to himself.
...Unless she did that on purpose, and made sure that the letters were messy and such.
L, had he been a normal person, would have shaken his head in complete annoyance then and there. He was frustrated at himself. He had concluded she was innocent, but now this second Kira had him rethinking things!
"They do know each other," he muttered to himself, ignoring the hustle and bustle of the fellow Kira investigators.
(Matsuda had just fallen flat on his face and gotten a bloody nose.)
Could Yagami Light be Kira, and Yamazaki Kaori be the second Kira?
L really wanted to believe that it wasn't true, but they both were incredibly intelligent and could pull it off...and they knew each other...and seemed to know that each other were suspects. Kaori had also confessed to sharing information. Their fathers were both NPA members that were fairly high on the totem pole...
"Light...It's seven percent that he's the first Kira...and if he truly turns out to be Kira it's one percent that Kaori is the second," he muttered. "But only one percent if Light is, in fact, Kira."
Matsuda, clutching a tissue to his nose, spoke in a nasally voice. "Why did Yamazaki Kaori not come back with you, anyways?"
"She didn't wish to help on the investigation," L answered apathetically.
"So...she wouldn't be Kira, right? Kira would want to get in."
L hid his slight annoyance. "But she easily could be the second Kira, who came up only this week."
"She's in England now, though. It would be hard to get the letters here-" Sochiro Yagami started. He was cut off by his phone ringing.
L raised an eyebrow. "That's supposed to be off, is it not?"
Yagami looked slightly embarrassed. "I could've sworn the battery died, so I didn't bother making sure it was off."
L sighed.
"Who is it?" Aizawa asked.
Sochiro looked at the caller ID on his phone.
"It's...the NPA," he said, looking surprised.
"You'd better take it," L said emotionlessly, turning to take a panda cookie from a cardboard box next to him.
"Er...Hello?" Yagami asked.
He listened for a second, then his eyes widened. "What?! How? When?!"
After a minute he hung up his phone.
"Ryuzaki," he said heavily. "We have a problem."
"What is it?"
L took another panda cookie from the box.
"Deputy Chief Kitamura...Yamazaki Kaori's father is in the hospital!"
The cookie dropped out of the great detective's hand, and clattered onto the table, cracking in half and spilling its chocolatey stomach.