Chapter One: Flashback

Author's Note:

HELLO AGAIN!!! :)

I just have a quick word to say about the organization of this fanfic. The PROLOGUE and ALL of the EVEN CHAPTERS are from Kaori's point of view (1st person). The ODD CHAPTERS are 3rd person limited from L's point, alongside flashbacks of their life at the Wammy House. Those are organized randomly. Please don't get confused!!! :)

End Author's Note

***

CHAPTER ONE: {Flashback}

L looked down at the girl in the car seat.

She was five or so, and the only reason she wasn't bouncing off the wall like most girls her age did was that she was asleep. Sound asleep.

Matt toddled up, his reddish-brown hair sticking up straight from his midday nap. A little four year-old Mello followed not far behind, his yellow-blond hair a complete rat's nest. He stumbled and nearly fell; L quickly caught him.

"Who's she?" Matt asked, yawning and not attempting to cover his mouth.

An adult male approached the children. "This is Kay," said Quillish Wammy, the founder of the Wammy House. "She's new, and she's going to be with us for awhile."

The girl stirred, and slowly she opened one big, blue-green eye. "Mmh?"

"Ah, Kay, you're awake!" Wammy looked pleased. He smiled. "I've heard much about you from your father."

Both of Kay's eyes opened, and she blinked hard. Then the brown-haired girl sat up.

"Kon'nichiwa," she said dutifully. "Watashi no-"

"No, no, dear, please speak in English. We haven't gotten to Japanese in their curriculum yet," Wammy said busily. "So far it's just been French and a little Spanish for them."

"...Salut," Kay responded, in French. "And what's 'curriculum'?"

Matt's eyes were wide with amazement. "Bonjour, Kay." He turned to Mello. "Her hair's shorter than yours!"

L stared intently at the girl. So young, but she seemed quite intelligent.

"Bonjour," he said to the girl. "Je m'appelle L." He pointed to the five year-old next to him. "Il s'appelle Matt." Then he pointed at Mello. "Il s'appelle Mello."

"I can speak English, you know," Kay said, seeming slightly irritated. "Is your name really L?"

"Is your name really Kay?"

"No."

"Exactly."

Mello chose that moment to speak to Wammy. "Near's up, Uncle," he said, adopting the term that most of the few kids used to address the founder.

"...Near?" Kay looked puzzled. "Am I the only girl here? Daddy said so."

"Yes," Wammy said. "Would you like to meet Near?"

"Who's Near?"

"Come over here."

Wammy led Kay into one of the rooms branching off from the hallway. Matt, Mello, and L followed.

The room was fairly plain, and had two bunk beds, a clock that didn't work, a closet, a bureau filled with puzzles and games, and a little bathroom connected to it all.

"This is where you'll be sleeping," he informed the solemn five year-old. "You're sharing a room with Mello, Matt, and Near."

Wammy led Kay over to a crib in the corner. "And this is Near."

In the crib lay a small and quiet two year-old with white hair. He lay there, calmly looking up at Kay and the rest, with gray eyes wide enough to rival Kay's.

"H-he has white hair! And...he's soo cute!" Kay squealed after a somewhat awkward pause.

Once Wammy had taken Near out of the crib, and she'd gotten her excitement out, Kay got to hold Near. They sat on the ground, and he clutched at her finger and hand and examined it while she played with his hair.

"Why do I have to sleep in a room with all boys?" she asked, slightly alarmed.

"These three are the closest to your age here. L will be assigned to watch over the four of you, too; don't be afraid to go to him for any sort of help," Wammy explained.

Kay turned her bright, trusting eyes on the dark-haired nine year-old that sat on one of the beds next to Mello.

Those wide, innocent eyes assured L that he absolutely had to do the job right or there would be trouble.

"That is, if you're willing to do it, L." Wammy's voice cut through L's thoughts.

"I'll do it."