Chapter Twenty-Eight: Kaori

Author's Note:
Hey guys! It's me again. I'm updating twice in one week-and again, it's to make up for missing several weeks. I doubt you lot will ever truly forgive me, but hey, a girl's still gotta try, right? :P
Read, vote, and comment please! Read because its awesome, vote because you KNOW you'll love it (XD overconfident much? :P), and comment because it makes my day and I wanna see what you think and your reactions. Thanks a bunch!!! :D
P.S. If someone could actually make the picture that Kaori "creates" in this chapter and give me a link, I'd put an external link on this and also dedicate this chapter to you. Just saying! :3
End Author's Note
***
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: {Kaori}
"Well," I sighed, throwing myself haphazardly down onto the couch, "that did absolutely nothing."
I was back at the hotel after a long day of walking around in Shibuya. And it was ten times worse than it would've been, because we had done the same two days before in Aoyama, and both days, we had gotten absolutely nowhere. Nothing had actually happened either day.
I sighed exaggeratedly loudly.
"Ryuzaki," I said aloud, speaking to the camera I knew was in the corner of this room, "I'm gonna get some sleep. If anything happens-though I doubt it will for now, at least-be sure to tell me. 'Kay?" I giggled a bit childishly when saying my nickname.
Of course, nothing was said by him, because there were no speakers, but I knew that L would see it. I knew that he would listen.
And so I headed into the room with two beds in it, going to the one closest to the balcony-that one was mine.
And I collapsed onto the bed, without saying or thinking another thing.
---
Something gently prodded at my arm and said something.
"Nnn...yeah...mm-hmm...," I mumbled softly. "Five...just five...more...."
I heard more gibberish; then something shut.
And then I completely forgot about it, rolled over, and went back to sleep.
Unfortunately, though, I was unable to completely slip into the dark depths of sleep, so I just lay there, half-asleep, for about ten minutes. Then I had to get up.
As I slowly sat up, I inwardly cursed at whatever woke me.
"Man," I groaned blearily, rubbing at my eyes. "I knew people fell asleep when they hit the pillow in books, but.... So it can happen in real life too, huh...."
I pushed off the covers and got out of bed, shivering slightly as the warmth of blankets was reluctantly left behind.
I paused, looking back at my still-incredibly-tempting bed and blankets.
I sighed slightly. Wouldn't L and the rest of the investigators get a kick out of what I was about to do?
I grabbed one of the blankets and wrapped it around my shoulders, then headed out of the room, opening the door and exiting.
I swear, I looked like I was a female version of Superman, only with a too-big cape. The Kira investigators must've been laughing their heads off at my childishness right about now.
I wandered around, making myself slightly more presentable-not that I cared much, but this lion's mane I called hair absolutely had to be taken care of-and getting a snack.
Then I headed next door, munching almost contentedly on an apple. Almost, but not quite. Dark shadows still lingered on the horizon.
"I bet Matsuda-san had the time of his life watching me parade around like...what was it, 'Supergirl'...?" I mused as I opened the door and stepped inside.
But as I entered the room, I noticed that the screen showing the recordings from the cameras were going unwatched. Instead, everyone was huddled around the coffee table.
"What's going on?" I murmured, coming up to stand next to the big guy-Mogi. I peered at the bright computer screen they were gawping at.
I immediately took in the scratchy letters dancing across the screen, spelling out Kira.
"Another reply from the second Kira," Yagami-san said tersely to me as Light nodded from behind him.
"Why didn't anyone come tell me?" I asked, vaguely irritated.
L looked at me.
"But we did," Matsuda said. "L-Ryuzaki went over and tried to wake you."
I suddenly remembered the person that had poked me, and the slamming sound that must've been the door. That person had said something. Right?
Whoops. Sorry, L.
I flushed slightly, though my cheeks didn't become as red as they once did when I was embarrassed.
"Okay, um, well, then," I stuttered. "Can I watch it? Show me the video, please...."
---
I went out for dinner after the exhausting task of investigating and hunting down Kira.
Waiting for my supper to come, I tapped my foot and stared randomly outside. As I did I saw a bunch of people walking by, so I decided to pick out the ones I'd like to draw.
At first, I didn't really see anyone that interesting, but then I saw a determined-looking blonde-haired girl walk by. She had half of her blonde hair up in two pigtails, the rest hanging down, and was wearing gothic-style clothing. But what stood out was the look in her eyes-it was amazingly strong and determined. Given the chance, I'd definitely want to draw her.
I saw the girl mutter something to...herself, I guess. I could kinda read her lips. Something about announcing and Rem. I assumed that was her name.
The girl turned the corner and was gone.
As I thought about the look in her eyes, I wondered what others saw in my eyes. The pain of lost family, the determination of someone willing to die for a cause, the helplessness we all sometimes feel?
But then my extra-large bowl of udon and crab was here, so I dug in and kind of "shut down" my brain. No detective-work at the dinner table, my dad had used to say.
Daddy.
I asked if I could have my noodles to-go, paid, and went out to the nearest park, sitting alone on a random bench. There, under the lamplight and the setting sun, I ate my udon, ignoring the slight extra taste of saltiness I could now taste in it.
---
It was around eight when I got back to the hotel. I was no longer crying, and I decided to try and cheer myself up by doing stuff I liked to do.
I checked my phone, only to find that Sally had left a message earlier about putting my stuff away. She said that if I didn't come back soon the university would let someone else move in. She also wanted to say sorry about my dad, and hope that I was doing all right.
We always seemed to miss each other on the phone.
I bit back more tears, scolding myself. "No. I'm not allowed to break down. I'm working on the Kira case, for God's sake!"
I sat myself down at the mahogany, state-of-the-art desk, picking up a pencil and my sketchpad. I flipped randomly through my drawings, noting with a small, strained smile that I still had that picture of Light in there.
I banished all complicated thoughts, and began to draw. No detective-work when drawing, too. I made up that one.
I drew aimlessly, drawing a person, but who knows who.
It was only when I finished and stopped to look at it, that I recognized who it was.
It was that girl. Rem, I believe it was.
In my random, whatever-comes-to-mind sketch, I'd drawn her standing on a rocky surface, eyes looking up at the sky a bit dramatically. She was holding a notebook in one hand, and was holding an apple up to the heavens in another. The imaginary wind whipped around her, making her hair and dress fly out around her. A shadow with a knife lingered behind her, as did a shadow that was holding out its hand to her in a majestic, righteous sort of way.
But the weirdest part was the three nonhuman shadows in the cloud. One was stretching a weird-looking arm out to grab the apple.
"Well, my mind is twisted," I muttered to myself. But I kept drawing, adding colors everywhere, almost randomly.
When I stopped for the last time, signed my work, and held it up slightly, I really looked at the picture. Really took it in.
I saw the colors, the shapes, shades, everything. What stood out the most was the her eyes.
They were a shining blood red, looking up in admiration and determination.