Chapter Twenty-Six: Kaori

Author's Note:

I am on a roll, man! XD (Or maybe, in my case, a croissant. I wanna be original, and je parle français aussi. ;D)

This is the third and final chapter of my triple update. No, it is NOT the final chapter of Precursor. It is merely the third update in my triple update. :P Just clarifying, in case you didn't read my previous author's notes. (But then you probably wouldn't be reading this one either, right...?)

OKAY. THAT SETTLES IT.

I am going to do a thing. JUST out of curiosity, mind you. (And curiosity killed the cat, so Imma have to be careful. I'm a bunny though, so I bet I'm safe. :3)

If you actually read my (occasionally long-winded) author's notes, or at least skim them, comment on his chapter with the word BUNNY in the comment. All caps, too. Bunny doesn't cut it. It must be BUNNY. :3 So, yeah. If you read my author's notes, or at least read this one, comment that and I'll go read a story of yours (your choice, if you want). Then I'll try my very bestest to vote and comment, 'kay? :) Promise :D

(And if it seems to work well this time, I may do it in the future, so look out for it.)

On another note, coming up with that flashback (chapter twenty-five) in thirty or so minutes worked, but this one...not so much. Heh.... -.-'

Yeah. That's about it. :P

My apologies on the long author's note! I'll shorten it next time!!! •.•'

SO, read on, enjoy, and vote and comment, if you please! XD

End Author's Note

***

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: {Kaori}

We had sent out a reply to the second Kira's tapes, pretending to be Kira-the real one. Now we were waiting to see if there was a reply.

Mogi was on duty, checking all mail and envelopes sent to Sakura TV, when we got one.

He signalled us, and L immediately called us all in.

I sat with bated breath as we waited for L to let us read it-for this time a journal entry had been sent in.

After L had read it multiple times, he sighed and handed it to us to read.

Light took a single glance at it and sighed as well, though most likely for a completely different reason. "This person is an idiot."

I read it from over his shoulder, and agreed. "Second that."

The first obvious thing in the journal entries was a note about confirming shinigami at the Tokyo Dome on May 30.

"What do you think about this?" L asked.

I held my tongue. I knew he was asking Light, knew that L was seeing what Light thought as a way to sort of test him.

But....

We'd have to be thorough, and investigate the other locations...Aoyama on the 22 and Shibuya on the 24....

I tuned back in just as Light was shutting his mouth.

Shoot. I really hate ADHD. And daydreaming.

"We should probably-" I began, accidentally cutting off L.

L stared at me apathetically.

"Sorry," I muttered softly, turning red. "I'm gonna go...review the...tapes now...."

"Assuming he's not the idiot we think he is...," L began as I headed off to go grab headphones.

I watched the tapes, not actually seeing them. I heard the audio, but it was just white noise.

Absentmindedly, I toyed with random thoughts on the Kira case.

Then, something hit me.

"Is the second Kira female?" I asked suddenly.

Their conversation stopped abruptly.

"What?" Mastuda-san looked at me, flabbergasted.

"The second Kira.... There's a good chance that they're female," I said slowly, things clicking into place as I said it. "I mean," I began, leaping up and grabbing the journal entry from L's hands, "look at this! We've been assuming that Kira is male, but the journal entry...the entries sound like they came from a girl or woman. I should know, being one myself, so...." I trailed off nervously.

L stared at me.

Oh. I quickly handed the paper back to him. "Sorry, Ryu-san."

"It's fine," he assured. "And you may be correct." He quickly scanned the piece of notebook paper, as if seeing it with new eyes. "It does make sense, to a degree."

Light frowned. "I see your point...but what's the relevance of that?"

My cheeks became slightly red. "I...uh, I don't know, I just thought...."

"It will be extremely relevant, though," L interjected. "When investigating in Aoyama, Shibuya, and at the Dome, we'll be more careful and investigate females more than males, now that we know the most likely gender."

Matsuda nodded wisely. "Oh...I see."

Light smiled warmly at me. "Then good job."

I nodded.

"So you were right when you said she'd be a helpful addition," Yagami-san mused aloud.

I inwardly felt proud. Useful. No longer helpless; able to carry my own weight. Needed. Things I hadn't felt in awhile, not since before I'd come to Japan.

Light looked slightly surprised. "So Ryuzaki-"

"I was a suspect like you," I told him sheepishly. "But no more!" I smiled slightly. "I'm sure the same'll happen to you eventually, too!"

Though, to be honest, I wasn't completely sure about that.

---

"So," I said, "you want Matsu and myself to go to Aoyama?"

Matsuda beamed at the nickname I gave him.

"Yes," L said, sipping his coffee. "You two can blend in, go as a couple, maybe, and investigate."

"Couple...?" I squirmed. "I don't really...uh.... I mean, I know it'd be fake, but...still...." This settled it. He had no idea about the feelings I had for him as a child. Good-I wanted to keep it that way. Stuff like that would get in the way of the investigation.

"I'll go too," Light said suddenly. He smiled slightly. "I could be a friend who just happened to run into you two and...crashed your date, I believe it is."

I felt slightly relieved. "Uh, yeah. I guess."

L and Yagami-san stared at Light.

"I'm the only one who would look normal hanging out with Matsui and K," he responded, shrugging. "I also go there often, anyways."

"I think it works," I inputted.

"Well, let's go for it!" Matsuda cheered.

I had to admit, though he was a bit of an idiot, Matsuda's cheeriness was something we needed on this team. And that was a fact.

---

I shifted uncomfortably.

"These two are my cousins," Light said to the group of university students. "And these are my friends from school," Light introduced.

He paused. "Oh, and by the way, these two are looking for dates, so if anyone's willing to volunteer...."

I inwardly groaned.

This was going to be a long day....