Chapter 47--Bay

Chapter 47

Bay

Evan stands in front of Ema in a protective stance.

He clutches the hem of her shirt with his right hand, and in his left he holds tight to his trusty teddy bear. Had I been an invader, I'd be real scared of that teddy bear. I push the thought of his menacing teddy bear aside as my blue eyes flick between them. Before I can speak, tears of relief fall down my cheeks. They're still here. Mom took care of them. I don't know to what extent, but they're still alive after four months of my absence.

I get down on my knees, staring at each one of them before half-laughing, half-sobbing. The seven year old's run up to me and throw their arms around my neck. I gladly return the embrace, kissing each one of them on the cheek.

"Oh it's so good to see you." I whisper.

"Mom said you were dead." Evan pipes up.

My grasp loosens on them. "What?"

"The day you left, disappeared, Mom said you were never coming back."

"Why would she say that?"

"Because she's Mom. What other explanation is there?" Ema says.

I raise my brows at my sister before smirking a fraction. Damn, I raised her well. I am proud only for a second before I realize what this means.

"They held a funeral service?"

Ema nods. "The Jotunn Warriors were there. One said you were still alive."

"Just one?"

"Said he saw you traveling in a van," Evan replies.

"That was a while ago, sweetheart." I stroke his cheek. "He easily could have been mistaken."

"But we knew he wasn't mistaken. Because you promised you'd be back," Ema whispers.

I stare at her before I break down in tears once again, grasping them both tight. That is, until I hear the most familiar voice of all.

"Baylee?"

Every fiber of my being tenses up. Casper must sense it because he walks up to me and helps me to my feet. The twins look back at Mom and shrink back.

"What're you doing home?" I swallow bile.

"Extended time off for the loss of a loved one." Grace, my mom, replies.

"You knew I wasn't dead." I retort.

"I didn't know that. I knew you left, but it's been months, Baylee! I had to report you missing! It was your damn father all over again."

I go to approach her but Casper holds me back.

Mom's eyes flick from me to him, lingering on him for a moment longer. "I know you," she extends a bony index finger towards Bunk. She's even thinner than when I left her. Her health continues to rapidly decline, and it's all her own doing.

I look up at Casper to see he's gone pale.

"You're uh, Lord who is it?" She snaps her fingers. "You're Elijah's friend," she rubs her cheek. I can smell the alcohol on her from here.

We all stare at her uncomfortably before she snaps her fingers again and points at him. "Bunk."

"How do you know him?" I frown at her, suddenly feeling defensive of the young man I've grown overly fond of these past four months.

"I knew his mother. Rosita, was it? You wouldn't remember Bay. We were good friends. Casper, isn't it? Yes, that's right. After your mom died, you and Arris moved to—"