Chapter 19--Casper

Chapter 19

Casper

Her face goes slack as she stares at the Jotunn that surround her.

Her eyes are normally a bright, breathtaking shade of blue, but in this moment, they appear black. Her eyes are an empty void, which scares me more than anything else. I've never seen her eyes go so cold.

Bay steps away from the bus driver Wolff and takes a testy step closer towards the Jotunn Warriors. Her face becomes much more intense than I have ever seen it before. Her eyes glisten like diamonds, becoming cold and hard as she stares back at the Warrior. Her voice comes out rough and grotesque. She panics but she hides it well. She remains fierce—fearless she looks into the Warrior's eyes. Courage emanates from her character. I watch, noting her trust in herself not once wavers.

"Prepare for death?" She takes another step closer and scoffs, "did you just tell me to prepare for death?" She begins to let out a bubbly laugh, "Let me tell you something, sweetheart."

Another step closer which makes me nervous at how close she is to one of the Jotunn.

"I welcome death."

"Then that will serve you well today," it spits in reply.

I watch Bay wrap her fingers around the butt of her handgun. She bides her time. I take this as a hint and nudge Ridge, gesturing for him to do the same. I prepare my pulsar with my lower lip bit between my teeth as I await her signal.

"How many are aboard this bus?" She stalls.

"Twenty-three."

She raises her brows. "That's unlike me to miscount," she trails off.

The Jotunn that has his helmet removed tugs out his gun and aims it at Bay when she looks away from him. A smirk surfaces on her lips as she backhands his gun, sending it flying across the vehicle. The gun collides with a window, busting out the glass and disappearing outside. Wind greets us as it whistles through the opening of the now broken window. The wind caused from this broken window cannot compare to the force of wind when on board a shuttle. We're on an average bus so the wind doesn't bother us in any way other than making our ears pop.

The other Warriors stand at the ready even though none of them charge. Bay yanks up her gun once more and fires. The Jotunn she swatted the gun from goes limp and falls with a thud. I don't hesitate to pull my gun out. Yet, I can't help but think that this is way too easy. Something is clearly off.

All in unison the remaining twenty-two Jotunn's raise their weapons and aim at us—every gun except for one. My gaze follows where one's pulsar points towards. The gun aims past our group, pointed at the front of the bus. A gasp flees my lips as the trigger pulls, sending a bolt of electricity soaring across the bus. The bolt hits Wolff—the poor, innocent man—in the back of his head. His body goes limp, crumbling beneath the wheel where his body lands on the gas pedal. He shakes in violent convulsions before he no longer moves. His chest falls and doesn't rise again.

Bay screams in rage and charges the Warrior that killed the man.

"Bay, no!" I shout at her.

As she charges every gun aims at her. Well, shit. I decide to be stupid and step forwards. All guns turn and point at me instead of her, even though she tackled the Warrior to the ground. They are attracted to movement. Good to know. It seems that these Warriors are still in a trancelike state, just not to the extent they were before. Their brains are still programmed to think like a Warrior would, but not to the full capacity.