Chapter 42--Bay

Chapter 42

Bay

I jump through the shattered windshield and drop to the ground.

I toss aside my depleted pulsar and rush towards Casper and Ridge. The Jotunn Warrior lay dead right in front of them. I can't take pride in any of my fighting skills I just displayed, because Casper almost died because of my recklessness. Because I was careless, because I didn't follow his orders, because I disobeyed.

I kneel by Ridge and stare at Casper who is now sitting up. He rubs his raw face and looks back at me. Behind us I hear commotion in the bus. The people are debating whether or not they should leave us behind.

I glance over my shoulder and see the mother and the child that had landed on top of me staring down.

"No," I hear the woman say, "We can't leave them, they just saved our lives."

"More Jotunn Warriors can't be far behind!" I hear another bicker.

I look back at Casper with a curious expression. The question pulling at my tongue feels dangerous to voice, but I say it anyway.

"Where are the other Warriors who didn't make it aboard the bus?" I whisper.

"I have no idea," he replies. "But I'd rather not stay around to find out."

I nod.

Ridge and I help Casper to his feet and get aboard the bus. Once on, we seat Casper first. Ridge sits across from him while I kick the dead Jotunn bodies off the bus and onto the street. Once done I come back and sit beside Casper.

The driver grabs down a towel and offers it to Bunk. He presses it against his bleeding, raw face. Within seconds the white towel is stained red. My heart aches and I can't look at him.

"Bay," he says.

I don't look at him. I don't say anything. I don't move.

"Bay," he says again.

I don't reply.

"Baylee."

"What?"

"It's not your fault."

"I deliberately disobeyed you." I murmur.

"You did what you felt was right."

"If I would've listened you wouldn't be in the current state that you are."

"You need to stop blaming yourself for everything, you know that right?"

I look at his shoulder and gesture to it. "May I?"

He nods slowly.

I position my hands on his body, preparing to pop his shoulder back into socket. He grimaces from my touch.

"Take a deep breath," I mutter, grasping his shoulder to pop it back in.

I apply pressure to it. Another pop sounds and he lets out a loud scream. I shush him, cooing softly as I do.

"It's okay," I whisper, kissing the top of his head.

I stand up and take the blood-soaked towel from him. I place it in the trash bin before acquiring another towel from the driver. I return to Casper and gently dab at his face. We remain in silence for several minutes as I do this.

"I'm serious Bay," he whispers, "Stop blaming yourself."

I sit back as the bus begins its descent to New York. As it jerks into motion I decide to reply.

"I've done things Casper that only I am to blame for. I killed my father. I hurt my mother. I left my siblings. Whenever I'm around people, I, myself, either hurt them or they get hurt. I—" I falter, trying to think on my choice of words, "No matter what I do, I can't seem to do anything right."

Casper reaches a hand up and gently brushes away strands of black hair from my face. "Bay, I know for a fact that's a lie. I understand your mother isn't the best role model, so you took over as Mother for Evan and Ema. I understand that you lost your dad just like I lost my mom, and I also know that you had no other choice but to kill your dad.

"You were faced with a choice, and a very tough and mature choice, at that. The choice of letting wicked live and you die, or letting wicked die and letting yourself live. A situation like that most people would panic. Most would run. Some would hide and avoid the situation. But what you did took courage, Bay. It took courage to face your father, to help him. And you know what took the most courage?"

I shake my head.

"What took the most courage was having to kill him. If I were you, in that moment, in all honesty, I would have run. God, would I have run."

Tears slide down my cheeks. I shake my head.

"What is it, Bay? You can tell me," ne cups my cheek in his hand.

"No matter what I try to do, I feel like I fall short."

"You, Baylee Areaux Zachary, will never fall short. You are stronger than you think," he wipes away tears from my cheeks. "Know what else?"

"What?" I croak.

"My mom always told me, forget what hurt you—"

"I can't just forget what hurt me, Bunk," I interrupt him.

"Let me finish."

I shake my head and close my eyes. A tear slowly falls down my cheek. "Okay."

"I know it hurts, but you have to leave the hurt behind. But something good comes from the hurt. Every time you are hurt or someone makes you feel like complete and utter shit, it teaches you a lesson. You need to forget the hurt, but never forget what that hurt taught you."

I open my eyes to look at him. His hand cups my cheek. He places his forehead against mine and sighs.

"One day, it might just save your life."