Chapter 40--Bay

Chapter 40

Bay

From the corner of my eye I see Casper go flying through the windshield.

I hear him screaming and feel paralyzed in shock. Or maybe it's fear. I'm not overly sure, but I'm scared. I'm scared for him, for me, for Ridge, even. I don't want to lose another person I care so deeply about. I can't lose Casper, it's not an option.

"Ridge!" I scream as I grasp the Warriors wrists, trying to keep him from striking my face again.

"What?" He calls, occupied with another Warrior.

"Get to Casper!"

He hits the Warrior in front of him five times with the butt of his gun. Once the Warrior collapses, Ridge works his way towards the front of the bus, all the while trying to keep the civilians calm and collected.

"Where is he?"

"Look at the windshield!"

"What?"

There is a pause and I know he sees him. His silence is anything but good.

"Oh shit."

"Please!"

"Y-yeah," he stammers. "I'm on it."

Ridge jumps through the windshield. I can't watch any further before I lose my grip on the Warrior's wrists. The Jotunn undercuts me in the jaw.

I fly backwards and smash into a mother that clutches her baby in her arms. The woman falls, and I do my best to catch her. I grasp her by the waist and manage to switch positions so her and the baby land on top instead of on the bottom. The mom is sobbing, clinging to her baby girl so hard her knuckles turn white.

I help her off of me right as the Warrior comes barreling up. I lay on my back before flipping onto my feet, hands at the ready.

"You want to go? There are only two of you left. That consists of you and the one giving Casper hell. You're going to pay for that, by the way."

"You have changed, Baylee Areaux Zachary." It speaks at last. The voice belongs to what once was a man.

"No, I haven't changed," I pull out my handgun, "I just learned."

Before it can say another I shoot it dead.

I turn around to look out the window that Casper disappeared from. There on the ground I see blood. His face is skinned, bleeding profusely. His shoulder is positioned at an odd angle. To make matters even worse, the final Jotunn is heading for him and Ridge.

I don't have much time to think so instead I take out my pulsar that has only enough charge for one more shot. I squint my left eye and look through the tiny scope on the gun. I take in a breath and hold it.

My finger squeezes the trigger.