Chapter 26--Willow

Chapter 26

Willow

The exit to the compound feels so close yet so far.

It's close enough to give me butterflies, close enough to taste, to touch, to feel the sunlight on your skin, but yet it's so far from reach. So far it makes me feel helpless. I know it makes me feel vulnerable especially, like a little child that's afraid of the dark. I hate the feeling of vulnerability.

Eli, Axton, Ariel and Diego have been trying to get us out of the headquarters for the past five days. Demetria was in the infirmary for three days before the Jotunn removed her helmet. From there we ran and we've been running ever since. Demetria still isn't performing at full capacity, but the good news is she will live. That's all that matters.

I can hear Bay and Casper in my ear as I crouch behind Axton, my face practically buried against his back. I can smell his scent which is actually quite a decent smell for someone who's been crammed in a suit since the demolition of Oregon. He smells like lavender and fresh soap. It's a smell that reminds me of my uncle, which I find comforting.

"Is this our chance?" I whisper into the fabric of his suit.

He nods, not looking away from the exit. I want to be out in the sun again so bad.

"Diego, Eli, Ariel?" Axton murmurs. Axton received an earpiece that he can communicate to Eli, Ariel and Diego through. Their pieces aren't synced up to Bay or Casper's earpiece, or even mine for that matter.

I hear Diego murmuring through the earpiece but I can't make out what he is saying.

"Bring the other girls. Get ready. You have two minutes," Axton tells me.

+++

Eli, Ariel and Diego reach us in a minute's time. We all squat behind boxes of various cargo, being care-ful to remain unseen. Eli approaches the exit first, mak-ing sure that he won't be spotted. The Jotunn have been alerted to keep an eye out for Axton Rhodes, Elijah Han-son, Diego Sanchez, Ariel Monroe, Avery Redgrove, Demetria Lopez, and Willow Kindred. Calyx had no other choice at the time, having to remain loyal to her duty as the Master Jotunn. Reluctantly she gave out our names and put the Warriors on high alert, but she continues to help us as best as she can. She secured us secret nooks to hide out in and served as a distraction to Warriors on guard multiple times. Without her, we would never have made it this far.

Axton safely makes it across the clearing and motions for Eli to come next. Eli is even taller than he was before he was converted. He was six foot seven when he was still human—but now he is eleven foot tall. He has to crab walk majority of the way across, being too tall to simply crouch or stoop. When he makes it across he turns back towards me and gestures for me to begin my descent.

I crouch low as I depart from behind the cargo. I tuck my head and waddle as fast as I can. I reach Eli and Axton's side several seconds later. I peak around the edge of the cargo as Axton motions for Avery to come. Redgrove begins to make her way across before I have a chance stop her.

"Wait!" I hiss, holding up my hands, "Avery go back!" I say with an urgent tone. She looks around and sees what I see—an approaching Warrior.

Her eyes widen as she retraces her steps, hitting up against Demetria. Avery barely makes it back by the time the Warrior rounds the corner where she was positioned two seconds beforehand.

He walks past, not bothering to look behind the cargo as he passes. I notice all of us hold our breath, only releasing it as the passerby disappears.

Axton gestures once more for Avery to make her way over to us once the Jotunn is out of sight. She doesn't even bother to crouch low this time, full-out running across the room to reach Eli, Axton and me. She topples into me, knocking me back against the wall. I hit my head, a loud crack echoing around the room. Thank God there isn't a Warrior close enough to hear that. Redgrove gives me a silent apology as I glower in her direction.

We have Ariel come over next. She moves quick and quietly on her feet. There are advantages to being small, it would seem. The girl didn't even have to duck down to avoid being seen behind the boxes due to her shortness, even as a Jotunn. She stops beside Eli, who then gestures for Demetria. She starts towards us. Axton leans over to whisper to me.

"This is where it gets tricky."

"What?" I glance at him. "Why?"

"Her injury is a disadvantage. While it has healed it is going to slow—"

He falls silent, and I immediately know why, because I see it too at the same exact moment. A Jotunn rounds the corner, and Demetria doesn't have time to retrace her steps due to her slowness.

It does appear that she has enough time to continue forwards, either.