Chapter 30--Casper

Chapter 30

Casper

Ridge screams directions to me as he looks over his shoulder to direct me along.

In my defense, I had no idea that the Jotunn would have vehicles in their possession. That is a new thing. When we did a car chase in West Virginia, the Warriors were on foot, unable to follow us when I pressed the pedal to the metal and went ninety to nothing. But now? Now the beat up car Ridge and I selected is nowhere near the speed of their cars. We are as good as dead.

"Right, no! Left, no, wait," Ridge bellows.

I roll my eyes. "Make up your damn mind, Ferryweather!"

"Straight!" Bay shouts beside me, clutching the outside of the car, her door missing from where the Warriors tugged it off.

I growl through closed teeth, surging forwards as Bay directed. The wheels hit a large pothole, sending Bay swaying violently. Ridge hits his head on the ceiling, yelping.

I look into the rear-view mirror and hide a groan. They're gaining on us but there is nothing else I can do. I am pushing the car to its breaking point; it can't go any faster. The speedometer needle quakes as it hits the 100 on the speedometer. I look back into the mirror, this time a gasp leaving my lips.

"Duck!" I scream at Ridge and Bay.

They don't need to look to know why. They don't even question it—they just do it. Bay tucks her head beneath her arms; Ridge does the same. I crouch low, the glass to the back window shattering. Bay gives a sharp yelp, the sound shocking her.

Without much time to think, I jerk the wheel to my left, sending us off the road and into a wooded area. Chances are, since how big their cars are, they won't be able to follow us. Now watch, after I do this stupid stunt we are going to discover their cars fly or something utterly pointless. It's 2117, I wouldn't put it past them. If we're lucky they won't have any further tricks up their sleeves.

I look over the wheel to see I'm headed straight for a tree. I jerk the wheel a little too hard. Hard enough that it causes Bay to swing out the door, grasping the roof of the car with two hands. Her scream is panicked. Upon being thrust out of the vehicle, her body did a 180 and landed atop of the car. Her feet flail on Ridge's side of the vehicle, her entire body on the top of our vehicle. Her fingers hold tight to her side of the car, clutching where the door used to sit. I can't risk stopping the car, not if the Jotunn decide to follow us on foot. If I continue going this speed, however, it will push Bay right off and kill her. If I jerk the wheel again then that will also kill her. And I can't live with myself if that were to happen.

"Hang on!" I scream, just as panicked as she is.

"I can't!" She shouts back, cursing as her fingers loosen their grip.

"Five more seconds!"

"It's been seven!"

"You're seriously going to count how long it's been in this situation?"

"I'm trying to concentrate!" She hisses.

"Ridge, open your door!"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Your door!" I scream, "Open it, now!"

"Why?" He baffles.

"I need you to reach around and pull Bay in from your side!"

"And die in the process?"

"That or she dies!" I feel desperate.

"Bay, try to keep your feet pinned down!" Ridge calls.

Ridge, who has developed quite the crush on Zachary, catches onto my plan. I suppose one could say that in this moment he decides he can't live without Bay around.

A world without Bay is just no good at all.

I share the mutual feeling about her but at least she returns the feeling to me. I don't know why Ridge can't accept the fact that Bay likes me and not him. Maybe he can't because in times like this it's vital. His caring for her makes him want to put his life on the line so she doesn't lose hers. I greatly appreciate that about him. I consider him fearless at times and an idiot at others.

He unbuckles his seat belt and opens the door on his side of the vehicle. The door hits a tree and flies off, leaving an empty space between him and Bay—who does her best to keep her feet from flying as Ridge requested.

He leans out the door with Bay's feet about to clock him in the face. He arches his back to avoid being kicked, flailing as he struggles to stay in the car. I roll my eyes. This is one of those times I view him as an idiot. Ridge Ferryweather is a fearless idiot.

Ridge balances himself out, grasping Zachary by her ankles. I look back to see his brow beaded in sweat, legs twisted an odd direction in order to keep himself planted.

"Do you trust me?" He yells at Bay.

"Should I?" She barks.

"Now is definitely not a good time for sarcasm!" Ridge retorts.

"Who would trust a Jotunn?" Bay counters, her stubbornness more than apparent in this moment of time.

"Bay!" I scowl, "if you can't trust him, then trust me."

"Do you trust me?" I say again.

"With my life, apparently," she murmurs, voice so soft I almost don't hear it.

"Then let go."

Her eyes brim with tears as her fingers slip off the side of the car, one by one, little by little. The last thing I see is her lip trembling, her piercing blue eyes, wet cheeks, and her swaying black hair before she disappears from sight.

I hear Ridge grunt, then all goes silent.