Chapter Ninety-Seven | Third World

Start from the beginning

With that gone, the bloody face of the demon baby returned to peering down at him. Across its face was a vicious scratch; dragging down over one of its eyes and leaving it unusable.

Having appointed itself as the most dangerous of the group of mutants, the demon baby was not happy about being injured by a common Rotter. So it ruthlessly tore off Jakob's only remaining arm and tossed it away. Pinning the Rotter down by its chest, the child opened its mouth and the sides of its mouth cracked. It's jaw had long since dislocated in order to get wide enough.

That's when Jakob called it. Relaxing the Rotter's shoulders, his strange blue eyes rolled into their sockets.

"Fuckin' hell, that was creepy!" Jakob blurted as he sat up bolt right. A shiver ran down his spine as goosebumps pricked up his arms. The sight of the creature was still fresh in his mind as he looked at the familiar faces around him. It took a few moments for him to reorientate himself after what felt like an extremely oppressive dream.

In the time it had taken for Jakob to intercept the Advanced Rotters and get his face eaten, the others had also been working hard. At a crawling pace, all vehicles had crossed over the bridge, which had to be cleared along the way. Afterwards, team's B through to D had separated and made their way to their appointed position. From there they would go on foot, like Team A who had had to abandon their vehicle pretty much as soon as they got off the bridge.

Between the four of them, they had to allocate someone to carry Jakob's body. Which Bjorn had no issues with, as he practically threw the irritant over his shoulder. They were in the clear as they quickly made it to the tunnels. It was only when they had reached the same point that Hansel and Niklas had done previously, did they stop moving.

Only ten minutes went by before Jakob awoke, startling them all as they waited in the dimly-lit tunnel.

"They're out of the facility."

"You good to go?" Niklas asked and Jakob took a few breathless moments before nodding his head. Bjorn lifted him to his feet and they were on the move once again. From the ladders which led upwards and to the hotel, they ventured deeper and to the end of the tunnel.

"There's nothing here for the facility." Roscoe revealed when they did come to a stop, having found no ladder which showcased where they wished to go.

"Probably for tighter security," Niklas grumbled and breezed by them, jogging back to the last ladder they had walked passed. He stopped and looked back to his team. "Then we'll get as close as possible and get there via overground. Let's go." He ordered and everyone jumped into action.

Hansel had a sense of deja vu as he closely followed the Commander up the ladders, with Jakob behind. He was probably a lot more exhausted than he was letting on, but they had no time to worry about that. As soon as they breached the surface, they jumped out and instinctively had their weapons at the ready.

"They follow what the Rotter baby does," Jakob revealed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, "So if the little shit is still eatin', then they'll be there." His voice sounded progressively more slurred. It was one thing using his ability on a living being, but it was another thing completely to use it on a Rotter.

Hansel was growing more concerned for him. So he looked to the Commander, who understood his expression immediately. Handing over his assault rifle to Roscoe, who was closest, Hansel yanked off one of his gloves and turned to his friend. He gripped the man's shoulders to somewhat try and snap him out of his daze.

"Remember where I stored my things? Find the canteen and fill it up with water for when I call you back." Hansel instructed and Jakob just looked confused. Unwilling to waste anymore time, Hansel slapped his hand onto Jakob's cheek. Both waking him up and transporting him in one move.