Chapter 36: Never ending hurt.

Dakota's P.O.V.

When we get to the boardwalk I practically run to a food stand with a big sign that says "Funnel Cakes".

"Kota wait up!", Grayson says with a laugh.

I stop when I get to the booth and wait for Grayson to catch up to me.

"Someone is ready to eat", Grayson says when he catches up to me.

I look at him and say, "Haven't you learned by now that I am always ready to eat?".

Grayson doesn't say anything, he just laughs.

"Why are you laughing", I say in a funny, innocent voice.

"You are something else, Kota".

"I'm hoping that's a good thing?", I ask more seriously.

"It's a great thing", Grayson says in a soft voice.

I smile and turn around the look at the menu.

"We're sharing one right?", I ask, still looking at the menu.

"Yes, I don't want to eat a whole one by myself".

"Which one should we get? There's so many options...", I say.

"How about the one with powered sugar, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle?", Grayson asks.

I look at him surprised and say, "It's like you read my mind".

We're waiting in line when Lewis comes to my mind. Lewis. I haven't spoken to him since he told me that he didn't tell my dad about what happened. I miss Lewis so much. I went from dating my best friend to losing my best friend in a few days, how does that happen?

"Dakota? The line moved", Grayson says while gently tapping my shoulder.

I snap my head toward him and say, "Oh, sorry. I was just thinking about something".

"I can see that", Grayson says as we move forward.

Grayson moves in front of me and orders for us. I hand him some cash but he hands it back to me and says, "Next time".

"Playing hard to get", I say. I put the money in his back pocket and he freaks out and turns around and says, "What are you doing?".

"Paying you back for the cake", I say calmly.

"I told you you could pay next time", Grayson says, taking a step forward.

"I know, and I will, but I'm also paying today".

He takes another step forward and says, "You are so stubborn, it's adorable".

I laugh and say, "Thanks, you have no idea".

"Oh? Well I hope I get to find out", Grayson says, and he blushes a little.

"I hope so too", I say quietly.

"Order forty - six!".

"That's us", Grayson says and goes and grabs our food.

"I'll go get us a table", I say and go over to where the tables are.

I grab us some napkins and forks and then find a table with a perfect view of the ocean.

Grayson comes over with the food and sits down and says, "This was such a good idea".

I laugh and say, "I know right? We definitely needed this".

We each cut a piece and try it at the same time.