Chapter 9: Saying Goodbye

"But...But how did you guys know I would agree to go?", I ask confused.

"Lewis just said he knew".

"Oh...okay".

After everyone has left it's just Lewis and I's families and Chrissy.

"Congratulations again Dakota", Lewis' mom Rose says as she hugs me.

"Thank you", I say with a smile.

"Will I see you guys tomorrow?", I ask with concern in my voice.

"Yes! All three of us will be here to say goodbye", she says reassuring me.

"Oh okay, good", I say and start crying. I'm going to miss Rose so much, she's been like a mom to me.

"Oh sweetie, don't cry. You're only going to be gone for summer! Then you'll be back!", Rose says while rubbing my arm.

"Yeah but- but Lewis...he will be gone when I get back", I say as the tears come harder.

"I...I'm going to help clean up. I'll see you tomorrow", I say and walk away.

"Dakota, Lewis told me I would be able to stay here, is that okay?", Chrissy asks me.

"Of course! You can stay in my room".

"Okay cool. My stuff is already up there", she says with a laugh.

We each grab a garbage bag and clean the living room. By the the time we are done it's one thirty in the morning.

Alicia comes over to me and says, "Hey boo I can do that, you need to go to bed. Don't you have to finish packing in the morning?".

"Oh not anymore, Lewis finished packing for me earlier I guess".

"Aww, of course he did", she says with a smile.

"Well still, you need to go to bed. You have a long day ahead of you".

"Yeah, okay. Thank you, I'll see you in a few hours", I say and give her a hug.

I find Lewis who is with his parents. I say good night to his parents and then to him.

"I'll see you in the morning, okay?", Lewis says to me.

"....Okay....wanna come over for breakfast?", I ask tiredly.

"Of course. I'll see you in the morning sleepy head", he says and ruffles my hair.

"Okay".

Chrissy and I go upstairs and get ready for bed. Before I go to sleep I look over my list one last time to make sure I have everything I need.

After I've checked my list I climb into bed and quickly fall asleep.

My alarm goes off and it's hard to get out of bed.

I check my phone and see that I have a text from Lewis.

"Morning Kota, I'll see you soon".

My heart jumps. I can't believe today is the last day I will see Lewis for over a month.

"Hey Chrissy so when and how are you getting home?", I ask Chrissy as I sit up and stretch.

"Oh! I'm riding with you down to Santa Cruz. My family is going to meet up with me and I'll ride home with them".

"Oh my gosh yay, road trip!".

I get out of bed and shower.

I brush my hair and then grab my suitcases and Chrissy helps me bring them downstairs.

When I get down stairs my family and Lewis' are in the kitchen.

"There she is!", my grandma says and gives me a hug.

"Hi grandma", I say and hug her back.

I say good morning to everyone and then grab a plate and fill it with food.

I go the living room to find one open seat next to Lewis.

I look to Chrissy and I before I can even ask she says, "Go ahead, go sit with him".

"Thank you thank you!", I say and go over to Lewis.

"Hey", I say with a yawn.

"Morning sleepy head. Ready for today?".

I let out a sigh and say, "No".

I take a bite of food to stop myself from crying.

Lewis rubs my back and says, "Hey, positive vibes, yeah?".

I chuckle and say, "Yeah, positive vibes".

Lewis's mom Rose asks, "So Dakota, are you ready for today?".

"As ready as I can be", I say and take another bite of food.

"I bet you're going to have so much fun!", she says with a smile.

"Dad, when do we have to leave?".

"10:30 so we have time to get your things settled. Then you'll have to go to the taco shop. So we have a little bit of time. Are you all packed?".

"Yeah, I just need to grab some last minute things and I'll be ready".

Lewis leans back and whispers, "Wanna go to the spot one more time?".

He can read my face because Lewis laughs and says, "Yeah?".

I nod and say, "Definitely.".

I look to Chrissy and motion for her to come over.

"Hey, so...Lewis and I-", I'm about to tell Chrissy that we're going to the spot but she cuts me off by saying, "Go ahead! I can stay here and help clean up, then I'm going to finish the book I'm reading".

"You are the best friend anyone could ask for", I say and hug her.

"Yeah I am pretty great", she says and we burst out laughing.

When we're done eating we clean up.

I'm talking with my family when Lewis whispers in my ear, "Ready to go to the spot?".

I turn to him and say, "Yes. Hey everyone, Lewis and I are going to the spot, we'll back be by 9:45".

"Okay, can you bring down your suit cases so I can put them in the car?", my dad asks me.

"I already did, they're by the front door", I say as we head out.

Lewis and I are walking in silence when he says, "I like you".

I stop in my tracks.

'"...W-what?", I ask.

"I like you Kota".

"But...but what about Sasha? The other night when I told you how I felt about you said you loved me as a friend".

"I know but...when you were telling me about this guy Grayson, the thought of you spending this summer with him made me jealous. When we were here yesterday I felt something new with you, like...like I can't be without you. I can't imagine not seeing you practically this entire summer".

A tear runs down my face and I say, "...Lewis, I...Are you sure?".