Chapter 34: Please don't tell her

Dakota's P.O.V.

THE NEXT MORNING

I fell asleep going through scenarios in my head of how my dad could have found out about what happened. I still have no idea....

I wake up to a knock at my door. I pull myself out of bed and open my door to see Lydia holding a plate of food and a mug.

"Good morning sweetie, ready to go back to the shop today?", she asks kindly.

I'm so lucky that Lydia and Ryan are so genuinely kind and caring of me, and Grayson too.

I rub my eyes and say, "Morning. Yeah, actually, I'm excited to go back".

"Oh, good! I'm glad. I made you breakfast, it's a veggieI didn't know how you take your coffee so I just put a little bit of sugar and milk", Lydia says and hands me the plate and mug.

"Thank you so much, I really appreciate it", I say and go set the plate and mug down on my desk. I walk back over to Lydia and hug her.

"What is this for?", she asks with a laugh when I hug her.

When I pull away I say, "For everything. For being so kind and welcoming, for letting me work at the shop, for taking me in so quickly, and for taking care of me these past few days. I wouldn't want to be here with any other family", I say.

"Oh hun, you make it easy! When your dad and grandma asked if you come stay here we got so excited to meet you and to have someone else around", Lydia says.

I laugh and say, "Well good, I'm glad".

"Well you better eat, you gotta get ready for the day!", Lydia says and leaves my room.

I go over to my bed and grab my phone to turn on some music. I decide to play the song that Grayson and I are supposed to sing together.

I eat my breakfast and drink my coffee and then take a shower. I decide to wear striped black and white cut off jeans with a blank tank top and black sandals. I brush out my hair and then dry it a little, but not all the way. I pull some of it back so it's not in my face. After I brush my teeth I quickly tidy up my room and then grab my bag and go downstairs.

"Morning Dakota", Ryan says when I go into the kitchen.

"Good morning! Hey Ryan do you guys have any big bottles that I can put water in?", I ask and set my bag down.

"Oh yeah, they are right in here", Ryan says and turns around and opens a cabinet.

"Sweet, thank you!", I say and grab a bottle.

As I'm filling my bottle Lydia comes downstairs and says, "Hey Dakota, would you like to drive to work together?".

"Yeah, sure!", I say.

I grab an apple from the counter and realize that I should start buying some of my own groceries so I don't eat out everyday or eat all of Ryan and Lydia's food.

"Ready?", I ask Lydia after I check that I have everything I need.

"Yep! Let me just say bye to Ryan", Lydia says and walks over to Ryan and says goodbye.

I hope I have a love like theirs someday...

As Lydia and I walk out Grayson is walking to the house.

"Hey", I say softly.

"What's up", he says in his low announcer voice and it makes me laugh.

"Come on you two!", Lydia says from the car.