Chapter 18 • The Soul-keeper

Start from the beginning

"Good evening." Namjoon spoke up, grabbing the attention of the soul-keeper.
They turned around slowly, a sigh escaping their cracked lips as they took in the view in front of them. Their voice was gruff yet definitely female as they spoke, obviously not amused that yet another group of people had visited them to ask for some stupid request.
"No, I can't bring back those who have passed, and no, I will not kill you. You'll have to wait for your time to come, so scurry along will you."

"Hm. You must never get those questions, the enthusiasm could be heard from a mile away. Now tell me, what is it like living with a voice that sounds like you've been eating sandpaper all of your life?" The sarcasm dripped off of Taehyung's voice as he lazily raised an eyebrow.

Namjoon quickly interrupted him before he could offend the soul-keeper even more,
"We are not here for any of that, we need help."

The soul-keeper opened their mouth to say something, but Eunha beat them to it.
"There is someone messing with my mother's fate."

Soul-keepers were strong believers of fate. Asking them for help wouldn't work, they'd get irritated and refuse to even listen to them. Eunha knew this, which is why she decided to explain her problem in a way that would interest the female in front of them.

"Someone under the use of the bird-signature has kidnapped her. We are on our way to find her, but we need your help to detect her location. To save her. She shouldn't die this way, it would be someone interfering with fate. Please do tell if I'm wrong, but isn't it your job to make sure everyone goes when the time is right?"

She waited for the woman to nod before continuing, "Well this person is expediting my mother's passing. T-That is if they haven't already." Eunha's voice trembled slightly with the last sentence. She did not know if her mum was still alive, if she was too late. She needed the soul-keepers to find out.

Hoseok tightened his grip on her small hand softly, hoping it would bring the girl some kind of comfort. And it did, it reminded her that she wasn't alone in this and she was grateful for that.

"Bird-signature you said?"

In response Eunha let go of Hoseok's hand to grab the note out of the pocket of her dress. Without saying another word she handed the paper to the soul-keeper, silently cursing at how badly her hand was shaking. It wasn't just because of nerves, the biting wind was chilling her to the bone. She couldn't wait to go somewhere inside, bundled up in a cocoon of blankets with something warm to drink as she slowly drifted of to sleep.

"How long ago was this?"

Eunha silently counted the days they had traveled. One day for Eyvenor, five days with Jimin, one day when Taehyung tagged along, four days since meeting Namjoon, Hoseok and Yoongi joining on day one and three. She quietly did the math, but was beaten to it by the smart vampire.

"Eleven days ago."

The soul-keeper slowly nodded, "We haven't gotten any warnings of an evil-god trying to harm a human which means your mother should be alive still. This is however very serious. Such a creature roaming around the earth, it means a huge threat for everyone..." She trailed off, probably contemplating her options. Then she nodded again.

"Alright," Slowly yet swiftly, the soul-keeper reached for the hood that had been covering most of her face this whole time, gripping the black material in her olive toned hand and pulling it down. Eunha was surprised by how normal the female looked.
She must have been in her late fifties, her shoulder-length hair partly grey and black. She had a slim face, some wrinkles  here and there, thin lips and a pointy nose. Her piercing green eyes, though she kept her facial expression blank, sparkled with so much emotion and knowledge that it made her mysterious. Like she could see right through you and had access to your deepest fears and wishes.